Winter, 15th

"We meet again, you idiot," the man in uniform pushed hardly his forefinger at Ruby's temple. She did not mind – at all. The man's eyebrows creased in exasperation.

"You, idiot," Ruby repeated while making faces in front of the cop. She was brought to prison because of theft—the third time this month. She was imprisoned countless time, but the law never had teeth for minors like her—more like they did not even care at all. This time, she snatched a cheap mobile phone in the hope of the thought that she could exchange it for a small amount of money.

Desperation.

Ruby had no one and Ruby had nothing. She was brought to several juvenile facilities before, but it was like 'flee' was next to her name. She was more accustomed in streets than inside the walls. While many homeless people seek comfort of shelters, it was not the case for her. She found it difficult to adapt, to follow rules. She would rather spend her time doing shitty things with other strangers her age. If she was lucky, she would spend the night with not a single bruise – which never really happened.

"Lock her up!" The young woman victim cried at the police station. She was fuming. "You good-for-nothing thief! Your hands should be cut off!" She eyed Ruby with her vicious glare.

Ruby, being rebellious on her teen age, did not waste a word on the lady. She barely even listened to the officers. Instead of apologizing, she scoffed and spitted on her face. That, made the woman even more furious. She got the nearest thing on her—which, unfortunately, a thick blotter book—and swayed it right straight on Ruby's face. It hit her. It hit her hard. She tasted tang of blood, her lips were bleeding, so as her cheeks. Instead of crying, she managed to flash her smile.

If there was one thing she learned on streets, it was that, tears would not solve anything.

It was unruly ten-minute of chaos before everything settled down for the case. The woman got her things back, the cops were done scolding the teenager and lastly, Ruby was pretty much beaten and behind the bars—again.

"Tch, now it's boring!" She yelled as she kicked the bars. "Go get the boys!" She added in frustration. The other teenagers managed to escape when they were chased by the cops earlier that night.

She wiped her face with sleeves of her oversize worn-out shirt. She looked horrible with bruises.

It'll be another long cold night. She thought. This time, there was no one in the prison cell but her, as if it was solely meant for her that night. At least I have roof over my head for tonight. She thought.

"How long are you going to be like this kid? Don't you have any hope for yourself?" It was Officer Smith, the head chief of the station.

She ignored him, she knew the old man since she was a kid. They knew him for being a soft-spoken man, he was fond of kids. At Christmas, he made sure to patrol the area only to give out food and presents to homeless kids. Ruby received presents from him too.

"You should start thinking of your future," he sounded concern. She must admit, of all the people she met, Officer Smith felt like a father figure as she grew. He was approachable and never intimidating. They all got to his nerves for all the chaos they did in the area but not once he got mad. He was strict but he was compassionate. He made sure that people understood the consequences of their actions.

"Get out there, there's food, help yourself."

Ruby did not think twice and joined the police officers with their little feast.

From then on, Ruby learned a new way to get to life. Smith gave her hope when he offered her a job at the station. An errand girl, but sometimes, all she had to do was to keep the area clean. The longer she stayed with them, the more she felt welcome, and Smith, felt more like a father to her.