How to start a story

This prompt was inspired by my amazing friend Gemston3 who reads my books (no idea why). So let's get started.

A lot of people want to start a story, but don't actually know how to. You got a idea in your head but it's completely jumbled up and makes no sense. Well here I'm going to do my best to make starting your own story easy and clear.

I'm sure you've heard the famous, Who, what, where, why, and how. In fact your probably ready to shove that phrase out the window. Despite this it's still not a saying to overlook by any means. It is the best way to untangle your jumbled mix of a story.

Now, most people go beginning, middle, then end

Now, most people go beginning, middle, then end. I personally like to do beginning, end, then middle. So you may read this in whatever order you desire.

1. Beginning.

At this point you just have a idea. You want to establish what characters you have at the moment, and which ones your going to save for later. You can go about this two ways

(1) you start it from the beginning of everything, how they meet, why they meet, etc.

(2) you can start in farther Into the whole ordeal, they are already friends, maybe on the run already.

A example of (1) would be the Percy Jackson series.

A example of (2) would be the hunger games series.

Either way you still have to introduce characters, and you still have characters you start with. Both make excellent story's.

Now I always find the hardest part the first sentence. How exactly do I want to start this? The more you can lead on from the first sentence the better.

If your doing a fanfiction you got it easy, everyone's familiar with the characters, and they are excited to read. You still want to catch your readers, but it's definitely a lot less stressful.

If your writing your own original story, then this is a little harder. You want your first word to catch your reader, your first paragraph has to hold them in.

Blood.

That's all I see, I can't remember anything but blood it's everywhere. It's in my hair, shoes and mouth. Oh god I can taste it's metallic taste. Am I bleeding? Nothing hurts... I think. Bearings get your bearings in order, deep breaths, is it salty in here? Why would it be salty. Maybe I'm going mad. That's it I've solved it I'm going mad, or maybe I'm dreaming.

SMACK

Ok so I'm not dreaming. Is that a water bottle? Why is there a water bottle in here? Oh great that's covered in blood as well, figures. Maybe it's someone else's blood... oh right I'm alone. Well obviously using the process of elimination I can conclude that's my blood. Where is it coming from- ow!