4. The King

HEY GUYS THE PIC UP THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALEX AKA THE KING

ENJOY
✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

katherine's pov :

the soft beeping of the heart rate monitor wakes me from my sleep as my eyes adjust to the harsh fluorescent light above me.

My rags have been replaced with a hospital gown, and someone has left a bouquet of flowers at my bedside.

A sudden overwhelming feeling washes over me, and I feel tears spilling down my face.

This is the first time in two years that I've woken up without chains or shackles binding my hands and feet. I'm finally free.

I pull back the blanket covering me to examine my leg. To my surprise, the bullet wound has completely closed up. It's as if I was never shot.

"oh you're awake! "
I quickly throw the blanket back over my leg, not wanting to draw attention to my healing ability.

An older men, around my dad's age, approaches my bed. I recognize his as one of the warriors from the wood.

" are you here to guide me? " I ask, somewhat sourly.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me that this people don't trust me.

" on the contrary, " he says cheerily.

" i just came to visit. I haven't seen you in years, but you still have your fathers eyes.
What was it he always called you? His little warrior? "

" how. . . .how do you. . . " . I respond, choking up.

" I knew your father a long time ago. You were probably only three or four years old when I last saw you. "

" is he . . . Is he coming? " I ask, suddenly scared that something might have happened to him in two years that I've been gone.

" he is on his way as we speak, " the men responds, smiling " he was overjoyed when he found out you were alive and safe.

" he couldn't say any words other than " thank the goddess " for about thirty minutes."

Thank the goddess is right, Artemis is the only reason I'm still here.

" I'm sorry, I don't even know your name, "
I say, extending my hand to my father's friend.

" it's been a while since I. . . . Since I really talked to anyone. "

" the name is Steven, but you can call me Steve."

His expression turns sad as he clasps my hand.  " I can't imagine what you went through, Katherine. " 

" if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. And my wife, Louise, too she sent the flowers, hoping they'd brighten up this stale room a bit ."

" you're both very kind, " I say, my eyes growing misty.

" it takes someone will real strength to endure what you did, "  Steve says warmly. " a real warrior. We could use someone like you on the squad."