5

Once again, the big backpack was full, but instead of Ellery's belongings, it was full of travel necessities. She'd not had the chance to ask the mysterious man anything about the orb he had given her, or how they were supposed to use it. She and Draco had spent a couple days trying to get information and had gotten nowhere. Ellery managed to find a book on the basic usage, but she wasn't entirely sure if it was safe. Even so, it was all they had. They'd have to give it their best shot.

" Hey," Draco said from behind her, " We've got about three hours until we have to leave for that ministry thing." 

" Ah, right. I'll be ready soon.... I just have to make sure we have everything. You're packed?" 

" Yes." 

Ellery nodded and turned back to her bag and scanned everything over. Changes of clothing, water, her stone sword, first aid and food.  Then she looked over her shoulder at Draco and smiled. " I'm all set. I suppose I better get around to getting dressed here." 

He nodded and left. Ellery went over to the closet and pulled out another dress, this one a lot less comfortable than the first, even to look at. It had a piece that went around her neck to keep the top of it up. It was a tight fit for her upper body until it reached a fire red colored satin belt in the middle.  It then flowed about her in all the colors of the sunset. It was very beautiful, but she was too anxious to enjoy it. She changed and finished getting ready in silence, looping her hair into a loose side braid. 

" Pull yourself together," she murmured to herself, " You can do this." Ellery drew in a deep breath, checked herself in the mirror once more and left the room. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, Narcissa approached her with a pair of delicately woven silver sandals that looked like they may have belonged to a goddess once.

" You should wear shoes to this one," she whispered to Ellery with a smile. Ellery's cheeks turned bright red; she didn't think Mrs. Malfoy had noticed her lack of shoes last time.

" Uh, thanks," she mumbled, holding back an embarrassed giggle and taking the shoes. Quickly she slipped them on and turned to Draco with a grin.

" Ready, charming?" she asked, holding out her hand for him to take.

" Ready," he chuckled, taking it. Draco's father gave a playful smirk and rolled his eyes.

" Come along children. We mustn't be late," he said, ushering everyone out the door.

With that, their plan was officially in action. 

------------------

" I'm not dreaming, am I?" Ellery asked, her eyes wide in disbelief.

" I don't think so," Draco replied. He could tell by the distant look in her eyes that she was thinking about her past, so he put a hand on her shoulder. She shook her head and the clouds behind her eyes cleared.

" Are you okay?" he asked. She nodded.

" I'm okay. C'mon... We have to enjoy ourselves while we can. This trip will be dangerous, and well... I'm sure you can agree that one last moment of safety and certainty can't hurt." 

Before Draco had a chance to reply, he was pulled into the vastness of the ballroom. I guess she's not wrong, he thought. First one, then two hours melted away as the duo spun like tops around the dance floor. For the first time in a long time, Draco felt truly at ease.  Ellery sure knew what she was doing when it came to enjoying things, despite everything the past few weeks had brought about. That, and she knew how to dance. It reminded him of the Yule ball a little, though he didn't say it aloud. This was better, he decided.