3

Draco sat awake, reading the spell's side effects. As the list went on, he couldn't help but think that maybe he should have read this first. It was kind of scary. Ellery couldn't feel emotions such as love or anger towards him, and because he was her master, she would give her life for his without thinking twice. It was only if he started feeling guilty that she would have more choice over how to feel about him. That was as far as he got before he had to close the book, his hands trembling a little. This seemed almost as bad as watching someone he didn't know die for no reason. What had he done to this poor girl?

" You're still awake." Draco looked up to see Ellery, much to his horror. Quickly, he slipped the spell book under his pillow.

" Couldn't sleep," he said. She set down the laundry basket she had balancing on her hip and leaned on the door frame. " Is there anything I could do to ease your mind?" 

" I don't know that there is, but if you have any ideas, feel free to share," Draco replied.

Ellery offered a small smile, and then held up a hand. " Wait here," she said, " I think I have something that may help." Then, picking the laundry basket back up, she disappeared into the dimness of the hallway. Draco waited, trying to push the lump that had formed in his throat back. He knew she was only being so good to him because she was being forced to, but still. Everything she did was so genuine, and it made him feel like she actually cared.

" Okay," Ellery entered the room when she returned, with a heavy looking case in her hands,         " What I've found is that a little music helps a troubled mind. I know it seems kind of childish, but it really does help." 

He watched as she unlatched the case, his eyes widening in surprise. " Is that...?" he began.

" A guitar?" She finished with a smile. " Yes, it is. I took lessons for a good portion of my life. I used to sing my grandmother to sleep, in the months before she passed. It took her mind of the pain she was in. I figured it couldn't hurt."  With that, she opened the case and removed the instrument, fastening a strap around her body. She strummed a few warm up notes and then placed her fingers in a specific position on the narrow neck. " Forgive the sadness of this song.... it's  dear to my heart. It's the lullaby of my childhood."

" You're going to sing me a lullaby?" he snickered. Ellery gave him an unamused look. The smirk faded from his face. Now looking satisfied, she began to play.

Ellery's voice was that of an angel. She had her eyes closed, her body swaying slightly, as if she were somewhere else in her mind. Draco could already feel himself start to relax, and he sat back against the pillows. The faint scent of grapefruit filled the air, lulling him into half sleep. By the time she was finished, he was fully and comfortably asleep. Ellery removed the strap from her shoulder and fixed the covers over her master, turning the light out and tiptoeing out into the hallway.

Once she was alone, she sighed. It was still obvious that he was keeping something from her. His mannerisms towards her were overly confident and demanding, and it kept reminding her of her parents. When they told her to learn magic the way everyone else was. When they tried to send her halfway across the world, because they didn't want to deal with her. Ellery shook her head and wiped at damp eyes. There would not be any falling apart or emotions. Not here, even though she was alone in the dark hallway. So, she drew in a shaky breath and pushed the door of her small room open. She doubted sleep would come to her now that the memories had crowded in.

---------------

" Maybe you should tell her," Lucius Malfoy said to his son.

" She'll get angry with me. I don't want to make her angry. She's had a rough life," Draco said, looking down at his feet, " But she's so brave, and she's a good person. She didn't let anyone stop her from getting where she wanted to go."