XI

The next day, everyone in the forest was in some sort of panic and worry. The news had spread to everyone, and they were concerned about their beloved king. The fairies knew fully well that they were unable to help Harlequin in any way.

It was an illness that could not be cured with medicine.

Harlequin could feel his people's emotions towards him; it made him warm inside that they cared so much about him, especially after what he'd done after leaving them. However, he didn't like the fact that everyone was worried.

Elaine, Ban, and Gerheade were taking care of him the best they could, but it still depended on Harlequin whether or not he would get better.

He was given a lot of alone time, giving himself time to think about his condition. He didn't like it.

He didn't eat with them anymore because he couldn't even bring himself to stand. He was bedridden; he even needed help to sit up.

Harlequin already had a slim figure, but even with all the eating and drinking he's been doing, it was as if the nutrients weren't going to his body. He was getting thinner, and it was getting alarming, and it had only been a day or so.

Diane hadn't come to his quarters ever since she walked off. Elaine told him that Diane was still around; she just wasn't willing to see him. It was a good thing for his condition, but he always wanted to see her.

He felt terrible, thinking that Diane could be alone thinking of what she saw yesterday. "She hasn't talked about what happened yesterday, either," Elaine told him. "Yeah, she avoids going near here, too~."

Harlequin rose his brow. "Did anyone tell her?" His voice was hoarse; it stopped him from speaking for too long. The two shook their heads. "We're always here, and Gerheade's doing her responsibilities most of the time." Elaine shrugged.

"Besides, when I tried to read her, her mind is static."

"She's constantly in deep thought that even I can't get through." Elaine sighed, crossing her arms. "I want to ask, but I'm not sure how. It doesn't help that you're getting worse. You're coughing up flowers already."

Harlequin looked down at his fingers. It was true; the speed of it all was alarming and terrifying. In all happened a day, and because of the constant interactions, Merlin's prediction of a week turned into the next few days.

"Can.." Harlequin started. "Can you go talk to her?" Elaine and Ban were silent, waiting for more from him. After a short pause, he spoke again. "She's alone right now. Please talk to her." He looked at his little sister with pleading eyes.

Elaine frowned. "I will." Harlequin then looked at Ban. "Can you call Merlin?" He only nodded as the pair left him alone with his thoughts.

He's made up his mind.

Elaine found Diane sitting nearby the fountain of youth, deep in thought as she repeatedly poked the water.

"Diane?" Elaine asked as she sat down next to her. Diane jumped at the sudden interruption. "Oh, Elaine, how long have you sat there?" Her eyes were sad and scared, and Elaine understood why they were.

"Just now. Are you okay? You haven't been talking ever since well... yesterday." Elaine started. "I should be asking you that. You're his sibling." Diane frowned.

"I'm managing, but I'm asking about you, Diane." Elaine gave her a sympathetic look. Diane sighed, looking down at the water again, and she began to hug her knees.

"Does Harlequin really have Hanahaki?" She asked. "Yes, he does." Elaine could feel the hurt that Diane just experienced from that response. "But how, he.. he's supposed to be immune."

Elaine looked down, knowing full well how it happened. But she had to lie. "We're not sure."

Diane sighed, burying her face in her arms. "I'm just so confused about all of this. This is just so sudden. How did he get it? He's not supposed to! How did we not notice earlier? I just—" She stopped with a groan.

"I'm scared," Diane mumbled, but loud enough for Elaine to hear. Everyone was in pain, everyone was scared, and it was unbearable.

"He might die, and I don't want that. None of us do." Diane sighed, raising her head and looked up the sky. "I came at the worst time."

Elaine stayed silent as Diane continued. "I came here to visit unannounced, and this happened. I mean, at least I get to be here with him during this hard time, but I can't even get near him. The image still plays freshly in my mind, and every time it does, it makes me freeze. I hate that I'm avoiding him."

"Do any of you know who he fell in love with?"

Elaine wanted to scream; Diane was so clueless. "We're not sure either, and he didn't say a thing about who it was."

"He better tell who soon. I hear he's getting worse by the hour." Diane buried her face in her arms again. "He better confess, or at least get surgery."

Elaine only nodded. They were silent for a while until Diane sighed. Elaine turned to look at her—

I'm jealous.

Elaine's eyes widened, hearing her thoughts loud and clear. Diane rose her head and looked at her friend. There were tears in her eyes.

I came here for him, only to find out he loves someone else to death. Literally.

"Hey, Merlin's here!" Ban called out in the distance. The two looked at the man with Merlin standing next to her.

"Long time no see, both of you," Merlin smirked. Diane wiped her tears away quickly, and as much as Elaine wanted them to continue their conversation, they had to go to Merlin.

"How is Harlequin's condition?" Merlin asked them. "He's coughing up flowers now. It started yesterday." Elaine replied.

Merlin furrowed her brows. "It's even quicker than I anticipated. Has he made his decision yet?" The three shook their heads.

She sighed in frustration. "If he coughs up blood along with the flowers, I will have no choice but to knock him out and do surgery. Though it will cause complications, we cannot lose the fairy king to such illness, correct?" Merlin glanced at Elaine, who nodded shortly.

The three were silent, but if it really did go as far as him to be at the brink of death, it was the only way even if it went against his wishes.

"But by the looks of it, he'll start coughing up blood by tomorrow. Keep an eye on him. I'll be staying for the time being, will that be alright?" Merlin asked Elaine. She nodded, "The fairies will have your area ready."

Diane stood, staring at her feet.

Surgery against his will