15. The Selection

Mulai dari awal

As the friends continued to play, they didn't notice the arrival of Imperial Concubine Jia and Noble Lady Yu, that were also taking a stroll close to the Pavillon of Eternal Spring; when Jiao Wei and Ling Xue finished playing, they finally noticed the two concubines that until now, listened to the melody without bothering the two, "Greetings to NiangNiang and Imperial Concubine Xian, – greeted the two concubines, – this concubine was taking a stroll with Noble Lady Yu, what are NiangNiang and Jiejie playing?" continued Imperial Concubine Jia.

"MeiMei, me and Consort Zhen were playing 'Three Refrains on the Yang Pass Theme', – answered Imperial Concubine Xian, – is MeiMei perhaps interested in the art of music?"

"Jiejie might not know, but this concubine can also play the pipa." As Imperial Concubine Xian and Imperial Concubine Jia were having a conversation about music and the arts in general, Noble Lady Yu approached Jiao Wei, "NiangNiang, when are the twins due?"

"Imperial Doctor Xu said that the twins will probably be born before the summer starts, – answered Jiao Wei, – When will Noble Lady Yu also have the blessing to carry a Royal Child?"

Even if Princess Uisun was a little offended at Jiao Wei word's, as a Princess, she didn't mind the insult and flawlessly answered, "NiangNiang might not know, but the Emperor has bestowed to this concubine the bless to spend the night with His Majesty three days in a row."
Noble Lady Yu wanted to rise the rank as fast as possible, before more concubines will enter the Palace after the selection, she wants, at least, the Imperial Concubine rank or to carry the Emperor's child: but neither of the two would be easy to obtain, so Princess Uisun was doing everything possible to remain in the Emperor's good side, even if it means to push aside her pride as a Royal Princess.

While the four concubines were continuing to shot at each other remarks about their talent, rank and children, the Emperor was walking towards their direction. When the concubines noticed the Emperor, they quickly greeted him with a bow, "Greeting to the Emperor."

"You may all rise.", "Thank you, Your Majesty."
After each of them toke a seat, the Emperor begin at the center of the table, the latter began to speak, "In three days from now, the final selection of the concubines will be held, We chose Imperial Noble Consort Qi, Noble Consort Xi, Consort Zhen and Consort Hua to accompany Us to assist the selection of the new concubines." After the Empress Dowager's announcement, everyone thought the Emperor would only chose the Imperial Noble Consort and the Noble Consort, who would have thought the Emperor will also bring along the two Consorts, "Imperial Concubine Xian, Imperial Concubine Jia and Noble Lady Yu will partecipate at the meeting with the new concubines with Imperial Noble Consort Qi." continued the Emperor.

"This concubine understands." all of the four women replied simultaneously, "Your Majesty, since the weather these days is getting hotter and hotter, can this concubine bring some ice to cool not only herself, but also the Jiejies?" added Jiao Wei. The Emperor was surprised by her question, but easily answered with a smile, "Sure my beloved, we will give instructions to the maids to make the Hall of Great Fortune cooler during the selection."

After the Emperor communicated everything he had to say to the concubines, he stands up, "We will now retire, – he said, – Noble Lady Yu will accompany us tonight."
Princess Uisun answer was obviously a yes, Jiao Wei saw how her cheeks blushed at the Emperor mentioning her name; she was happy that the Emperor called for her tonight so the Princess will not complain to her or to Imperial Noble Consort how she should be more favored. After the Emperor retired, Jiao Wei also stands up and, after she waved goodbye to Imperial Concubine Xian, she also retired to her residence, the Palace of Eternal Spring.