c o n f u s i o n

Start from the beginning

Morgan shrugged and mumbled something incoherent under her breath. 

I tore my eyes away from the road and squinted at her confusedly. "Huh?" 

Again, she murmured a string of inaudible mumbo-jumbo that was impossible to make out. She didn't even make eye contact with me; instead picking at the skin on her thumb. 

"C'mon, it's a simple question," I said, nudging her. "It can't be that bad. What was it that you won't tell me? Pussy?" 

"No," she spat, smiling a little. "I did not eat pussy for breakfast, Noah."

I savored the way my name sounded in her voice. "What was it, then?" 

"I didn't eat anything," she shrugged. "There wasn't, like, cereal or easy things like that." 

I raised an eyebrow. "You could've made, I don't know, fruit or something." 

Morgan smiled at me, but it didn't reach her eyes. She seemed sort of antsy and uncomfortable as she replied, "Well, I'm too lazy for that." Then she let out a short burst of laughter. 

I decided to let the matter go. "Well, guess what?" I chirped excitedly, bouncing a little in my seat. 

"Hmm," Morgan began. "You decided to adopt a pet elephant?" 

"What? No." 

"You... broke your wrist three days ago and didn't tell any of us so now it's terminal?" she guessed.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Is that even possible?" 

Morgan pursed her lips and stared off into the distance faux-thoughtfully. "I've got it!" she cried excitedly, straightening up and widening her eyes as if a lightning bolt electrified through her. "You're pregnant!" 

"What?" 

Morgan simply smirked in response, fiddling with her hair. She first tied it up into a ponytail, then shook it back out, then put it back up again and left it that way.

"God, I'll just tell you," I groaned. "You know, when I said guess what, you weren't actually supposed to guess." 

She scowled. "Well, where's the fun in that?"

I waved away the comment dismissively.  "Anyway, here's what I did," I said, speaking in a low tone. "It's supposed to be a surprise, but I'm taking us all to the Rock Hall in Ohio." 

Morgan gasped and shot up. "Wait, the Rock and Roll Hall? Of fame?" 

I nodded excitedly. "Yeah, I figured it'd be great because of their Beatles exhibit." 

"Oh, my God," Morgan whispered. 

That was one thing that the five of us all connected over- a mutual love for the Beatles. One day, Logan got a call on his phone, and the ringtone happened to be "Blackbird." The other four of us simultaneously gasped and we all exchanged excited looks, coming to the realization that we all were huge Beatles fans. I mean, who isn't? 

From that day on- it was really very recently, I guess, only a few days prior- we'd play only Beatles music and exchange trivia with one another, arguing over whether "Let It Be" or "Abbey Road" was the better album. It really brought us closer together and gave us new things to talk about. 

It's interesting, really, how music can connect people. We were all talking about the same band, but we all had varying opinions on it- Morgan favored Paul McCartney over all the other members, but Evelyn liked Ringo Starr, for instance- and there was no greater feeling than barreling down the highway at midnight, yelling out the words to your old favorite song. It was like a universal method of uniting people. I bet if you blasted a good song in the midst of a war, everyone would drop their weapons and scream out the lyrics like it was their job. 

"Wait, how far away is it?" Morgan cried. "I need to frickin' change!" She gave me a quick pat and then barreled into the bedroom to get into some day clothes.

Suddenly, the RV came to a screeching halt- and I didn't do it. Panic swelled in my chest as I checked all of the controls, noting that everything was in working order.

"Hey!" Evelyn screeched, stomping up to the front with a hairbrush stuck in her long blonde locks. Even though we were on good terms, seeing her still made my stomach twinge. "What gives?" 

"I... don't know," I admitted. "Look, we're good on gas and everything." 

Ellen joined us in the front, flanked by a spooked-looking Logan. Everyone started talking at once."What happened? Why did we stop? Where's Morgan? Are we out of gas? Did you check the engine?" 

Then, Logan's voice sounded over all three of theirs. "Is this because of Kate?" 

My knuckles turned white as I angrily gripped the steering wheel, rendered useless. "The bitch," I hissed. 

Ellen stuck her head out the window and craned her neck to look behind us. After a few anxiety-ridden moments, she pulled it back in. The grave expression on her face was enough to make my stomach drop fifty feet below ground. 

"It's her, alright. And this time, she's not alone." 

(A/N): Sorry for not updating in a month! This chapter is wayyyy shorter than usual, and also pretty crappy in general. But the story is nearly done and I've got it all planned out, so thanks to everyone who's read it so far :)