Stranger

There was a reason why I didn't deliberately talk about Karna though he was there with Duryodhana, almost all days, and will be there till his doom! 

At my swayamvara, it was Karna who caught my attention first. He was mesmerizing enough to entice my rational mind for I would have gladly adorned his bronzed neck with the lucky garland and followed him with closed eyes,  hadn't my mother 'advised' otherwise, stating he being a low-born, made him unfit to marry me! 

My mother said, "First of all, what was he doing here with.....", she stammered, "....with his troubled-looking companion? We didn't invite them!" (She didn't tell Duryodhana's name for she foolishly feared, if not Karna, I would choose his friend. My poor mother got fooled by fate!)

"Isn't the purpose of Swayamvara is to let the princess choose her better half at her own will?", I thought sighing. Well, that sometimes was a blatant facade!

Royal marriages were simply political transactions, a kind of diplomacy, a strategic ritual to cement alliances with other royal families, an easy way to strengthen kingship through kinship!

Between the arrival, settling and formal welcoming of the guests before the actual Swayamvara, there was enough time to see and weigh the suitors from the hidden balcony.  Since I made a quick decision in choosing Karna, my mother made use of that time to reverse my decision by narrating Karna's story, but she ended up boring me with the unwanted details of Hastinapur's dwellers and Pandavas. 

Unwanted! That's what I thought then.

I wonder now. Did my pragmatic mother predicted that day's outcome and was simply preparing me? 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Drona, the acharya, royal teacher of Hastinapur princes decided to stage a tournament for the youthful princes who come of age to showcase their combat skills and profess in handling weapons. Both Kaurava and Pandava princes were eager to demonstrate and the loud cheers of both nobles and citizens in the arena only added to their excitement.

Yudhisthira being the eldest came first and displayed his profess with javelins, spears, and war chariot. The crowd gazed in wonder and promptly shouted praises. Duryodhana entered the arena as his name was called next with his favorite weapon, mace in his hand to combat with Yudhisthira who is holding his spear tight and ready to attack. 

It was a thin but sharp spear Vs. bulged but blunt mace fight. 

Yudhisthira managed to make Duryodhana fall down but in an eye blink, Duryodhana attacked him sideways and pinned his opponent down, defeating him. Followed by some loud cheers and silent gasps. Then, Nakul and then Sahadev, younger Pandavas entered the arena only to lose and return soon, but not without trying hard. Duryodhana was almost undefeatable with his mace. Almost, because Bhima was the next and there was a reason why he was also called Bhimasena - he who is equal to a formidable army!

Ashwathama, Drona's only son was ordered to stop the competition-turned-lethal-fight between Duryodhana and Bhimasena who fought, which Vyasa, the composer of our history (where I had no part) later claimed, like two angry roaring lions exhibiting equal might and menace

With bloodlust the crowd took sides, shouting both their names and the whole scene was absolute madness. To divert the air of tension, Drona called up Arjuna, his favorite disciple and some gossiped that he was dearer to him than his own son, to the arena.

Even before he placed a gleaming arrow in his bow, that place was trembling with thunderous claps and whistles of the delirious crowd. That was the effect Arjuna had on his spectators! 

"...The son of Indra, looking like a streak of lightning on the bright sun entered ...", Vyasa would dictate while the elephant-headed figure will transcribe on the palm leaves fervently, with a broken tusk.

Arjuna filled with his justifiable self-confidence, released the celestial arrows one after the other, showering stones that turned to flowers, shooting snakes towards the petrified beholders only to 'save' them with eagle-eyed arrows the next second

Arjuna filled with his justifiable self-confidence, released the celestial arrows one after the other, showering stones that turned to flowers, shooting snakes towards the petrified beholders only to 'save' them with eagle-eyed arrows the next second. His arrows erupted inferno and quenched it, created a whirlwind, and reduced it to a tickling breeze and what not!

While the amazed crowd was sitting speechless even after Arjuna bowed to the elders signifying that he finished his display, Drona with genuine affection and chest-puffing out in pride declared loudly, "My Arjuna indeed has no substitute!

"Let me prove that wrong, Guru Dronacharya" a young man with the radiance of burning gold as his armor, entered the arena. 

One look on the bewitching stranger, anyone will say, in front of him, whose effulgence is spreading generously like the sun's rays, the streak of lightning was no match! 

He bowed to the elders and mimicked every feat of Arjuna with astonishing dexterity and reproduced the same awe among the crowd, followed by an amazed silence.

The blind king who was worried earlier about Arjuna's growing popularity, informed by the turn of events, now stood up with relief. 

"Young man! I can imagine your talent with which you made us all speechless. Valiant warrior, reveal us your name!"

"Respected King, I am Karna!" the stranger replied, eyeing Arjuna with despise.

.........

And someone fainted in the pavilion built for the women of the palace. I will know why, when it is all too late!