Chapter 29 - Sofia's Decision

Start from the beginning

"It would be the height of stupidity and recklessness for anyone to threaten my daughter. And anyway, you would not be travelling alone. I will not make the mistake again to let you run off. You will be accompanied by a few of my trusted guards."

Sofia was trying to get a sense of what Mother's words were doing to Orì, and how Ami was reacting. Yet, Orì was quite lost. She stood there as if she was expecting to be bundled up and carried away any moment.

"Why would we do that?" Sofia asked. "For you of all people?"

Mother opened her eyes wide.

"Me of all people? How you make me out to be... You really are making me the villain in your story, but I promise you, once you have seen more of Nihon's hidden places, you will come to think differently about me."

"Not about your methods though."

"Ah, methods are another thing altogether. What counts is the result. And I firmly plan on Shazar winning the games, and the Masters' revolt to be squashed. There is not much I won't do."

"Not even using your own daughter?" Antibe interjected.

She had been listening quietly, with a growing despair on her face that didn't bide well to Sofia. She did not feel like much help would come from her, nor even what such help could look like. Antibe was a sorceress, and powerful too. But what could she do against Mother and Master Zbgi and his disciples? Whatever she chose, her loyalties lay with the people who had come to find refuge on her island. And not with them.

"My daughter," Mother replied, "knows very well the responsibilities that come with her title and her lineage. And not long ago, she was proud of it. She has been led astray, but she will return to her family's fold." She turned towards Orì. "Won't you, darling?"

Sofia observed her friend's reaction. She resolved that whatever she would do or say, she would back her up. And she was little surprised when Orì nodded.

"Yes, Mother," Orì said.

Mother smiled brightly.

"What about you, Sofia?"

Sofia looked straight into her eyes to let her know that her words were not everything, that she had still a mind and thoughts of her own.

"Yes, Mother," she said.

Mother clasped her hands together.

"Wonderful. And you, Ami? Will you come back with me to Shazar? You could study there, you could teach the others how to make masks, and you could be in charge of our own atelier."

For a moment, Ami could see clearly what this would mean for him. His own place, his new home. He could even see that, after an initial time of unhappiness and regret, he would in fact become very happy. He would have a simple, good life, and it would be all he had ever wanted.

"No, Mother," he said after gulping down a big breath. "I will go with Orì and Sofia."

"Very well," Mother said. "I am sure they will be happy to have you."

*

They went back to the room where they had only spent one night, to gather their few belongings. They weren't sure what they would need, probably Mother would provide them with every necessity for their travels. But they didn't want to leave anything behind. Probably, they would never come back to the island.

On their way, they passed Sofia's garden. It was still there, just as they had left it, even though Sofia hadn't spared it a single thought. It made her stop in her tracks.

"So, it is true," she said. "I am a -"

Again, she couldn't say the word. Again, Orì said it for her.

"Sorceress."

Sofia nodded.

"It's nothing to be ashamed about, Sofia," Ami said. "You can be ashamed of what you do, but not of who you are. It wasn't your choice."

"But what if I do the wrong things?"

"You won't," Ami said.

Sofia looked doubtful.

"We won't let you," Orì said. "As long as we're together, we will be fine."

Ami agreed.

"As long as we're together."

The Bayla stuck its head out of Ami's pocket. After having patrolled around them during the thunderstorm, it had become tiny again as soon as Mother's foot had touched the island, and had hidden away. There had been something about her that had made the Bayla's courage become non-existent, almost as if he knew her, and as if he had good reason to be scared of her.

Now, it hopped out of its hiding place, and for a moment, all three of them thought that it would leave them, that it would run or fly away. Instead, it morphed into a large, slender cat, striding next to them.

"As long as we're together," Sofia repeated.

The thought calmed her fears. And her excitement, too.

Because now, finally, she would get to know all about Nihon.

End of Book 2 - Thank you for reading, voting & commenting!!!

Book 3 is already up...

"The Games For Nihon"

Turn to the next part for a little sneak preview and follow my Profile to be the first to know :)

The Children of Nihon (BOOK TWO)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara