Chapter 9 | You Can't Ask the Dead

Start from the beginning

Sneaking into the suspiciously empty corridor proved to be easier than expected. Armed with his wand and brains he stood in front of the dark wood door. Touching it, he focused on his want for it to open, smiling as he felt it move and creak beneath his hand.

"Are you ready, Loki?" He hissed to his little blue snake.

"Of course, Masssster"

What he expected to see there he didn't know, but this was surely not it. The room was dimly lit and dusty which was unsurprising. The huge three headed dog laying in the middle however was a different story. It took him precisely one second to decide he wanted to live and run out. No matter his abilities a monster that size was too much for him. There had to be a way to get past it!

With that on his mind he went to research the matter in the library, only stopping once he heard a small cough signaling the presence of Hermione. She stood beside his table, the sun hitting her curls and making her eyes look like honey.

"Is the game over?" he asked, sensing her awkwardness.

Shuffling from one foot to the other, she replied, "Yes, uh- Slytherin won." Her eyes scanned the book he was reading-'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', "You need help?"

"No," he made sure to soften his voice, "But your company would be more than welcomed."

For the first time since he met her, she gave him a genuine smile. Sitting next to him, she opened her own book, "Well, I was just reading a book about dragons- can you believe they exist?- and really, such fascinating creatures..."

Listening distantly to her chatter Harry began thinking. Yes the dog was interesting, but what was it hiding? What was Dumbledore hiding?

It felt like winter came overnight-the castle woke up covered in snow. It seemed like the only students unhappy with the change were Harry and Neville who watched their tiny garden struggle to get the last rays of sunshine.

"I think Neville," said Harry awkwardly, "we might have to start over."

"Umm- maybe?" he desperately touched the sad leaves of his favorite plant. Harry felt bad for the boy- he saw each plant as family.

The last days of school before Christmas were spent merrily. Hagrid was seen dragging huge oak trees into the Great Hall and the professors were decorating each hallway with red hats and little snowflakes. At one point Harry gave up on the school uniform altogether since it did nothing to protect him from the cold between classes. He had seen Malfoy and his goons eyeing his clothes with jealousy. Good. They weren't the only one to look at him like that though- he had caught Amare giving him and Hermione the same look. He really did hope Christmas together would soften her.

Being distant from Amare was starting to sadden Harry, which in turn made him more prone to lash out at annoying Gryffindors. The only thing that gave him immeasurable joy was a letter from Gringgots, the day before the holidays.

Dear Mister Potter Black Slytherin Gryffindor Peverell Emrys ,

Your presence is required most urgently, as we believe to have found evidence in support to our claims of your godfather's innocence.

In addition, a meeting with our finest curse breaker has been arranged- the day after Yule.

I shall not elaborate more, in case this letter falls to the wrong hands,

May your gold flow,