Chapter 3

You and Dane ran to the field below, despite the steep precipice that inhabited danger. Even though it was initially your idea to chase after the Hylian Champion, you remembered that the clone was still following you. 

To remain unseen, you muttered a chant that transformed your physique into a shadow. It blended into the damp leaves of the environment, which was enriched with foliage and perpetual shade. Your body was unseen within the vegetation and Dane had altered himself into nothing. His presence, or should you say his chakra, was nearby. Precisely, it lingered right in front of you. 

 Dane felt the anxiety rise within your chakra and understood that when you went into hiding, he should too. You were thankful that he was more intelligent than the last clone you summoned and took a deep breath. 

"Do you remember the code word, Dane?"

"Flowers," the air answered. 

"Okay... Okay, good. Now, listen to me closely. You must stay hidden until I say the code word, alright? When I say it, you will be in uniform and you will attack the Hylian Champion. Don't hurt him too much though. Oh, and make sure to let him touch you after you injured him. Did you get all of that?"

"There is no need to question whether I have received the information specifically or not. I am a clone; I must fulfill the instructions you had given me." 

You sighed and rested your head against the tree behind you. You just needed another minute to comprehend your emotions and ill thoughts. This was truly it. This was the beginning of your mission, wasn't it? It surely was stressful for nothing problematic happening yet. 

 Promptly, you nodded your head and took in a breath. As you pushed yourself off the tree, you undid the cloak that consumed you and clenched your hands into fists. 

"Alright. Let's do this."

--- 

 Naomi liked the idea of being remembered. Not only did she crave the attention from colleges, but she also craved the recognition from victims. She found a simple method to make her stand out from other members. With a dab of superglue, a tiny bit of creativity, and a silky blue ribbon, Naomi made herself unforgettable. 

On her mask was a bow that could make any toddler happy, and as it did make her look childish, it struck a fear that left a familiar taste in the back of people's throats. The clan itself was merciless and incredibly intimidating, but to recognize a specific person from the group was dreadful. It made them remember what had happened before. It made them acknowledge the danger they had faced with that particular footsoldier. It made them more scared of the person than the clan itself. As stupid as a bow may seem, Naomi was competent enough to know that it left an impression, one that was both sinister and symbolic. 

Dane followed in her footsteps, even when he was candid about her dull strategies. He had an amber necklace that dangled from his neck. He never took it off or mentioned anything of it. It was like he hadn't noticed its presence as it settled a few inches below his collarbone. The necklace didn't make him stand out because the color blended in with his uniform, but you assumed it made him feel his own kind of significance without being distinguished. 

You were rubbing the fabric on the mannequin in front of you. The tunic was a beautiful green with a buckle snugly around it. As lovely as it was, you were too poor to buy the outfit as you were merely pretending to be shopping. Besides, the selections looked too warm for you anyway. 

Approximately two mannequins away stood the Hylian Champion, admiring a polished set of armor. He looked interested in it until he studied it a bit more, then his expression fell. He shook his head and stepped back to the row behind you. There was a full set of Hylian clothing on separate mannequins. You couldn't see his expressions with your back turned to him; hence, you were unclear whether he was captivated by the selection or not. When you walked into the store before him, knowing that he was heading in that general direction, you quickly glued your eyes to the Hylian tunic.