45: Seeing the Madman

"I never thought being home and sleeping in a proper bed would feel so good. Compared to a tree root sticking in my back the entire night, my bed is pretty nice. After Aunt Su was taken, I started to have nightmares again, but it wasn't about Zaheer this time. I had a bad feeling, about everything."

"Ally!" Lin pushed her daughter out of bed causing her to hit the floor and wake up. 

"I'm up!" Ally gasped. "What's the matter? What's going on?" she stood up, her white shirt tangled in the elastic waistband of her sweatpants.

"Someone's waiting outside for you," Lin said. "They said it's urgent."

"Okay, give me one second," Ally yawned and put on her police armor, and fastened her badge. When she was done, she saw Jinora standing outside her room. "Jinora, what's the matter?"

"Something's really wrong," she stammered. "In the spirit wilds, I felt a surge of energy, but not the good kind."

"Okay," Ally's eyes narrowed and she grabbed her glider. She opened up and they flew to Air Temple Island where Korra and Opal were. Jinora told them the news and they went to the spirit vines, where Korra got a reading. She saw the vines being cut up by Kuvira's machines and gasped.

"When she talked vines from the Banyan Grove Tree, and the swamp, it's probably affecting us," Korra stated. "Maybe that's what you felt, Jinora?"

"Why would she need vines?" Jinora asked. 

"I don't know, but I have a feeling it's not going to be good," Ally replied.

"Let's go tell President Raiko," Opal said. Korra nodded, and Jinora offered to stay in the wilds and look for a group that had gone missing. Ally, Opal, and Korra went to City Hall where they met up with Wu, Lin, Tenzin, Fire Lord Izumi, and Raiko.

"We should start by taking Zaofu out of her possession," Lin put her hands down on the table when Ally and her friends came in.

"Mom, we have some information," Ally chimed in. "I'm sorry, did I interrupt something here?"

"Hey, Ally," Wu said seductively. 

"Wu, stick a sock in it," Ally snapped. "Wait, I'm sorry, mom, you didn't tell me we had a meeting today."

"Sorry, kid," Lin apologized. "I figured dealing with the wilds would take precedence."

"Wait why was I not invited?" Korra inquired. "After all, I'm the Avatar." 

"Korra we're in a meeting right now," Raiko stood up but was interrupted as Bolin and Varrick ran in. The guards grabbed them, but Bolin told them he had information.

"Kuvira is building a superweapon that I may or may not have designed," Varrick explained. "I was designing it for unlimited energy, not mass destruction."

"Please let this be a coincidence," Ally murmured. "Is your weapon powered, or has anything to do with spirit vines?"

"Yeah, why?"  Varrick replied. 

"I saw through the vines, a vision of Kuvira taking spirit vines from the Banyan Grove Tree," Korra continued. 

"If she finds out a way to control and harness this power, we're screwed," Varrick muttered.

"If she uses her weapon on us, thousands of lives could be in jeopardy," Raiko slammed his hand down. "We need to stop her before she gets here!"

"I won't send my airbenders to help you," Tenzin stood as well. 

"And the Fire Nation won't be part of this," Izumi stood up, her glasses glittered in the light as her amber eyes searched around. 

"Fire Lord Izumi, please, Kuvira is an obvious threat to the world," Raiko protested.