25: Searching

"Today is the day we were going to start looking for new airbenders. After 170 years, there are finally new airbenders. It's amazing, Tenzin has new people to train, and we're going on an adventure. This is going to be one crazy experience."

Asami supplied a fully stocked future industries airship for the adventure. Their first stop was Ba Sing Se to look for airbenders and to stop at villages nearby to check out reports. 

"Ally?" Tenzin cleared his throat and walked up to the deck where Ally was sitting. The young woman turned around and looked at the man standing in front of her. 

"Yeah?" She replied. "What's up?" 

"Can we talk?" Tenzin asked. Ally nodded and motioned for Tenzin to sit down. "Listen, I know I wasn't there for you growing up... but I'd like to get to know you now." A small crease furrowed between Ally's eyes. Was he serious?

"Wait, back up," Ally put her hand up. "Why now? Why not when I was a kid. You left my mom to raise me all by herself so you could have your perfect airbending family. After 18 long years, now you want to know me?"

"I understand your frustration," Tenzin started. "And I know I wasn't a good father, but I'd like to try." Ally scoffed and turned away. 

"You had all the chances in the world," she whispered. "You chose them. I was your first kid, and you chose Pema instead of staying with my mom. And for a long time, I was hurt by that. But after 18 years, I get it. You weren't ready to be a father, and I respect that. And you have your reasons, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt."

"I know, and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you," Tenzin apologized. 

"I'm not going to forgive you just like that," Ally looked out into the distance, then back at him. "But it doesn't mean I won't try."

Meanwhile, in a remote prison in the middle of the sea, Zaheer was busting out one of his friends, Ghazan, out of prison. A tall broad-shouldered man with long hair and a trimmed beard, a lavabender. Zaheer had long gray hair and a scraggly beard that was unkept from behind in prison. He had a scar across one eyebrow and dark green eyes. Back in the airship, they arrived at their first destination. A little village of earth kingdom origins. They were greeted by the village leader and taken into a house to meet the new Airbender, Kuon. 

"You're the future of new airbenders!" Tenzin exclaimed, putting his hand out. They were sitting at a long table covered in food. The table was low to the ground, so you had to sit cross-legged or kneel to eat. "So I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're going to help us rebuild a culture that's been almost extinct! The air nation."

"I'm what?" Kuon stammered. "I'm a farmer, all I want to rebuild is my barn."

"But, you have to come with us," Tenzin replied. "We're going to the northern air temple."

"I have a family, and a farm, I'm not just going to leave," Kuon protested. 

"Of course, you can leave that!" Tenzin scoffed. "This is important, your family will understand."

"I'm sorry, what?" Kuon's wife replied. "No, I certainly don't understand." 

"Where's daddy going?" A little girl whimpered. "Why is he getting taken away?" 

"Oh, shh, it's ok, no one's taking daddy," she told her daughter. 

"Tenzin does want to take your dad," Ally said gently. "But not in a bad way, he just wants to teach your father about his culture and history." 

"I think there's been a mistake," Kuon said. "I may have airbending, but I'm no monk, no air nomad. I'm not going with you." Tensions were rising at the table and the village leader attempted to calm everyone down with dessert. 

"You're an Airbender now, sir," Tenzin protested. "There are things you need to learn, culture and history, and skills you need to master."

"You expect me to drop everything and abandon my family?" Kuon snapped. "No. No way! I'm not going with you, and you need to leave." He stood up, pointed to the door, and Tenzin's eyes went wide. 

"That could have gone so much better," Ally muttered. She put her chin on the table at the lower level of the airship. "You know what? Maybe we should just do what my mom did to get me to join the police, throw me in a potato sack."

"Lin did that?" Tenzin gasped. 

"No, I'm joking," Ally replied. 

"These benders must come of their own free will," Tenzin sighed. "But there are plenty of villages to convince." 

Village after village, day after day, and nothing. Not one person, it didn't help that Tenzin was horrible at convincing people. Korra tried to forcibly convince someone, also didn't work. In another prison, this one in a volcano, an armless waterbender named Ming-Hua was being busted out of her prison. Even though Ming-Hua didn't have arms, she could bend water as well as anyone, if not better. She used the water as her arms, an extension of her body. She had long dark hair and a raspy voice, she was small but intimidating. Meanwhile, Bumi was coming up with an idea to try and get airbenders to join them, and Bolin gave the idea of a street performance. They stopped at a nearby village and started. Ally decided to help with minor things and spare her dignity. 

"You all know the son of Avatar Aang, the tattooed master himself," Bolin announced. "The only guy with an arrow on his forehead, Tenzin!"

Tenzin whipped off his robe so he was standing in his pants and a bare chest. He whirled his hands around, creating a wheel of air which he jumped into and sped around. He finished with his hands in the air and gave a bow. For their next act, Korra tossed Mako around, a smirk on her lips. After they were done, only one Airbender came forth, a young boy named Kai. He had tan skin, spiky hair that he shaved on both sides and in the back, army green eyes, and a lanky figure. He was no older than 13 but had great control over his airbending abilities. The group learned he was orphaned a year ago, his parents killed by bandits. As they got on the ship, motorcycle's started to come after them, the outlaws. Korra took them down and learned that they were a sheriff and his deputies, they had been chasing Kai because he stole his adopted family's life savings. The group chose to keep Kai, against their better judgment. Ally and Mako were skeptical and kept a close eye on the thief. Lord Zuko of the fire nation went to the prison and found out that the criminals escaped. 

"The avatars must be protected," he said gravely.