Part 12

The movement of the hand underneath his woke up Omkara after a short nap. He lifted his head from the hospital bed and sat straight on the chair beside it. From what he could tell, Anika was waking up. And as his gut feeling told him, managing her wasn't going to be an easy task.

Taking her hand in his, Om thought that he had to be there for her. Despite him not seeing eye to eye with her regarding the choice to keep Shivaay unaware, he felt responsible to uphold the trust she put in him.

The phone beside him started to vibrate, indicating a call. But Omkara declined it quickly, after seeing the caller to be Rudra.

After Anika was taken into surgery for her hand, Rudra reached the hospital, though he was not in the state to be there. Hence, Om took the call to send him back before she could come out of surgery.

Out of the two of them, they knew Anika's bond with Rudra was more relaxed and laid back. They messed about and pranked everyone. Their childish behaviour and activities seemed to match those of the young children in the house.

Her relationship with Om was more serious and mature. They both where well aware of how to handle situations in a sophisticated manner. This helped Om to decide that he should be the one waiting for her to wake up.

Back to the current time, the effects of the anaesthetic drug was slowly wearing off. Anika's eyes were opening, but with much difficulty. Om stood up to lean across her, so that he could reach her right side. He adjusted the position of her right hand, which was wrapped up in bandages. Returning to his seat, he moved the stand carrying the IV fluids back so that and sudden movement from her wouldn't knock it over.

Om: Bhaabi?

Her neck turned to face him, and she raised her hope-filled eyes to meet his. Suspiciously he was avoiding eye contact since Om's gaze was fixed to looking down. Anika was too smart not to realise there was something wrong.

Anika: mera bacha?

The mere whisper left her lips, and she attempted to lift her arm and rest it on her stomach. Unluckily, the cast was too heavy for the feeble Anika to lift.

Om: I'm so sorry Bhaabi lekin...

A small pause was taken to wipe his tears and take a deep breath.

Om: the baby wasn't strong enough

Almost immediately, Anika began to repeatedly deny his words. Although weak, she managed to shake her head furiously, wishing for some hope.

Om: I wish I could tell you something else

Tears began to flow, and soon the small sniffles and sobs became louder cries and wails. Om climbed onto the edge of the bed, and allowed space for Anika to rest her head back onto him. He was well aware that Anika would have been better off with Shivaay, but there wasn't any other option at that moment.

Anika: Nahi Om

She slowly became restless, gathering a little bit of energy. She tried to get out of the bed and in attempt, waved her arms about.

Om was quick to react, wrapping his arms around hers and holding her in that locked position. His plan was to calm her down and try to divert her mind.

Om: it's okay Bhaabi, let it all out

He caressed her hair back and placed a light kiss on her forehead.

The sound of loud footsteps getting closer pulled his attention to the room door. There he saw Gauri shocked, a hand rising to cover her mouth to stop the cries. Her poor sister, as if she hadn't suffered enough, lost a symbol of her love and marriage. She was uncontrollably crying, and Gauri could see Ok trying to calm her even a little bit.