Chapter One: Home

Home.

He was finally home. They were finally home. He hadn't thought that coming back would feel like what he felt at that exact moment - walking up the stairs to the front door of Shantivan with his wife. There were countless times that he had done exactly that. Coming back home with her by his side. Strangely, he did not recall feeling what he felt now. But what was it that he felt then? He wasn't sure. 

Maybe some things are better left unsaid, his mind argued when it found no explanations, some things don't have to be understood. He felt home. Maybe that's all that mattered at that moment. Arnav knew that the days that he had spent away from everyone he loved had certainly left a few deep impressions on his bruised and battered heart. Maybe many more than he thought. Something that he couldn't fathom. Something that he couldn't understand. But he chose not to fight it. Or understand. Whatever it was, he felt strangely comforted in the unknown.

His hand pulled her closer to him as they reached the bottom of the stairs of that palatial residence they called home. Their home? He wondered if he could still call it their home after everything he had put her through. The humiliation, the pain, the sleepless nights, the isolation, the insults hurled at her time and again...

It's so sad that our families love you so much...

Because you... don't have a character...

A voice - his voice - reverberated in his head as he helped her get on the first of the stairs. He flinched at his voice.

"Are you - ok..ay?" a soft voice pulled him to the present. He nodded. He knew he failed to convince her that he was alright with that weak nod. But again, maybe this was just another thing that he didn't care about. Not at that moment.

Not now, Arnav, his mind reasoned as her voice halted the chain of thoughts, Khushi needs you. She is hurt. Because of you.

He felt his wife whimper and wince as her weight shifted on the wrong leg. "Ar.. nav..," she whispered as she grabbed his soiled vest for the umpteenth time today.

"It's okay, Khushi," his reply was almost instantaneous, "I know it hurts. Just a few more steps and we will make it better..."

Khushi looked at him. She blinked as her vision blurred; he saw sharp folds waxed and waned on her forehead as she tried to comprehend his words. He stared at her and sighed.

"I shouldn't have - " he began only to be interrupted by her.

"A few more steps," she repeated what he had told her, more to herself. He heard her take a deep breath, trying to prepare herself for the task.

Arnav shook his head and silently picked her up in his arms.

"Arnav - "

"It's just a few more steps," he shushed her. He ignored the pain that wheeled through his sore, bruised muscles as he swiftly climbed the stairs, his eyes glued to his wife. He felt a sense of relief wash over him as he watched her snuggle closer to his chest and close her eyes; the pain was forgotten in the past.

Arnav gently shuffled Khushi, trying to be as slow as possible as they reached the front door. He didn't want her to move her head lest the movement aggravated her injuries from the fall. He made a mental note to call the doctor once he is within the reach of a phone. He was about to ring the doorbell when he felt Khushi trundle in his arms.

"Khushi, just a moment, please," he said, "Stay still. I don't want to - "

"Don't you want to know who kidnapped you, Arnav ji?" she asked him without waiting for him to finish what he started, struggling to keep her eyes open. She had to tell him before she couldn't. She knew the family wouldn't leave her an opportunity to converse with him, to tell the truth. "It was Shyam ji," Khushi continued when she saw a series of questions fly across Arnav's face.