seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
( UNDER THE STARS & LIGHTS )

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN( UNDER THE STARS & LIGHTS )

TEN YEARS AGO

"IT'S A CLEAR NIGHT!" The five year old spun away from the opened window of the bedroom and immediately ran into Biming. The boy steadied them both, but she was quick to get out of his grasp and race out of the room, barely even fazed by it.

"Wha- Flo?" Biming called after the youngest, but he went ignored. He sighed a bit too dramatically for a sickly six year old and ran after her as fast as he was able. Even Ju-Li, who called out for her as well from her pallet of a bed, didn't get an answer.

Flo quickly made her way to the main area of their home. When she didn't find who she's looking for, she made her way to the kitchen. At the table Hachi, Lei, Kuron and their father sat together as they played an easy game of mahjong. With a huff, Flo turned back around before any of her older siblings could grab her – they loved doing that, to pull her into their laps for hugs and cuddles or to tickle her, or simply picked up to carry her in odd ways just to be annoying – and left right when Gang questioned what she was doing.

Finally, she went to her parents' shared room. Deep down, she knew she probably should have checked there first but denial was a strong thing even at her age.

Fen laid on her own bed pallet, asleep. The moonlight filtered through the window; it was bright, both because of the lack of clouds and because of the full moon. The silence was almost unnerving. It made Flo pause just inside the doorway, hesitating as she caught sight of the slow breathing of her mother's chest.

It gave enough time for Biming to catch up. Both of them stood still, then without any word spoken between them, he grabbed her hand and they walked further inside together. The wooden panels of the floor quietly creaked under their feet as they tried not to make too much noise.

Unfortunately, neither of them got far. Not because of the noise, no, but because someone caught them.

"What are you two doing?" The harsh whisper came from Ju-Li, having followed them to make sure they wouldn't get into trouble, and both spun around in an instant. Biming tried to smile innocently, meanwhile Flo kept a calm expression. Before either of them could answer, she continued, "We're supposed to be letting her rest – you are supposed to be resting." Ju-Li pointed an accusatory finger at her youngest brother.

"I was just following Flo," Biming muttered with a ducked head.

"And I just wanna see Mama," Flo said.

Ju-Li crossed her arms. "You're sick, Biming, you shouldn't even be walking around, and Flo you'll have to wait until morning." Luckily, that was enough for Biming to let go of Flo's hand and head to Ju-Li. No one wanted a fight.