√17 ~ Rabia

"See the bad inside yourself, and see the good inside others."

-Imam Ali(AS)

*****

Five weeks ago

January 27, 2019, Sunday

The plane just landed in Kuala Lampur. Taking their luggage Faheel and Haris came out of the airport. The weather in Malaysia was mild and welcoming with a hot breeze. His warm dressing had been changed to lighter ones. His hair was covering his forehead messily. Running fingers through them he settled them backward. Put on black shades and a baseball cap to save himself from the eyes of people.

They stood there for a while eventually. glancing at the wristwatch. Though no one stopped by them. "Faheel I'll drop you." Haris offered him. "How will you go?"

"By cab."

"Why would you go by cab? Wait a little more. She must be on her way."

"No, I have to visit the hospital first. I have already taken much break. I will directly go there."
"Then you go If you are in a hurry. I will wait."

"Okay then. See you later." Haris stopped a cab and went from there. Being irked he again took a complete view of his surrounding. Where she had been.

Just then a car stopped by him letting a girl come out. Her fair skin was beaming under the sun rays. Her knee-length peech frock was contrasted with white jeans. Nothing was shocking about that girl but the hijab over her head. Coming near, she was about to hug him with excitement but stop in between.

"Hey, careful. You will make me fall too." Faheel was shocked at her sudden change. She was used to hugging him after a long meeting but today she stopped.

"I missed you so much." She took two steps backward. Melina belonged to Christianity following his mother. His father was an atheist. He had gotten apart from family leaving his wife and two daughters years ago.

"Yes, I can see. Where were you? I have been waiting for so long."

"Sorry, firstly  I woke up late and then traffic."

"Shall we leave now?"

"Yes sure. Whatever you say." Saying Melina moved aside and gave him space. She was driving and blabbering constantly.  "Melina, Can I ask something?" As he interrupted her, she turned her face to him.

"Suddenly a great change?" He was talking about her hijab.

"Don't you like it?"

"No, It's not like that. You don't do such things that's why I asked."

"I have accepted Islam." She told him with a smile while looking on the road though he felt like a bomb blasted over him.

He remained quiet neither did Melina ask anything. Faheel couldn't say anything in this matter. It was surprising for him because to change a religion wasn't a mere thing.

"Hijab is looking nice over you."
"Thank You."

"But Melina..."

"Not Melina, Rabia." Today Rabia introduced her new self. "Rabia have your family accepted this?"

"Not at all."

"Then?" Faheel was surprised at her confidence.

"People's happiness doesn't matter to choose the right path. All matters is your happiness, your choice, and the happiness of your Allah. As a matter of my family then I am independent. I fulfill my all needs on my own. I can survive alone." Firstly, he got impressed by her words, but still, he hadn't gotten the right answer.