Basketball and Bad Decisions

Poor Cyrus could barely keep up with TJ, who was also struggling to maintain a line of sight on Jonah. Teachers and students alike were forced to step aside as the line of boys ran past them. Eventually Jonah came to a stop in the middle of the hallway, placing his hands on his knees and breathing heavily. TJ ran up to him shortly after, almost slamming into him. And finally came Cyrus, face flushed red, and clenching his chest tightly to avoid having an asthma attack. After a couple minutes of catching their breaths, Cyrus spoke up between labored pants.

"Wha- what... ha- happened? Who did what?"

"Jonah... you gotta stop... and calm down." TJ wheezed.

It didn't matter though, Buffy seemingly disappeared.

"How..? Where..?" Jonah couldn't comprehend how he lost her.

"Jonah, listen to me." TJ tried again, but Jonah's eyes kept scanning his surroundings.

At this point, Cyrus was leaned up against a set of lockers, still fighting to get his breathing under control. "Do I... not... exist..?"

"Babe just wait." TJ stated blankly, causing Cyrus to tense up. He didn't yet understand the severity of the situation.

"I just-"

"I said not right now!" TJ snapped at Cyrus, giving him a glare.

Cyrus was taken aback by TJ's sudden outburst. It had been awhile since he's seen that side of him, but given the current situation, Cyrus understood and thought that it was most likely warranted.

At that point, a girl came around the corner of the hallway, causing Jonah's head to shoot up. It wasn't Buffy, but he still approached her.

"Hey Cindy, have you seen Buffy?" Jonah asked urgently.

"Uhhhh.... yeah. Why?" Cindy was completely confused.

"No time. Thanks though." Jonah was about to run off again, but before his legs could begin sprinting again, TJ wrapped his arm around Jonah's neck and held him back in a chokehold.

"Get the fuck off." Jonah kicked and elbowed TJ to try and break free from his hold, but to no avail. "TJ stop!"

"No you stop dude." TJ then whipped Jonah around, pinning him to the floor and getting on top of his back, straddling him with both of his legs.

"Guys stop!" Cyrus rushed over, trying to break them apart. All three boys were red in the face, with their sweat and tears all mixing together. After struggling around on the floor, the boys got up to catch their breaths once again. This time it was Jonah who collapsed against the lockers.

"I can't do this dude! I can't be here." Jonah cried through muffled sobs as he laid his head between his knees.

"Then let's go." TJ suggested, bold as ever.

"You mean skip?" Cyrus asked in shock.

"C'mon babe, I need you." TJ lowered his voice, "to help with him." Cyrus didn't answer, instead he swallowed deeply and nodded.

The two boys lifted Jonah up from off of the floor, consoling him, as they headed for one of the back doors.

••

The three boys were mostly silent as they walked off school property. Cyrus however, kept looking behind them, anticipating an angry teacher to come running out of the school yelling at them. Unlike Cyrus, neither TJ nor Jonah were thinking about the consequences they could face if they got caught. Each of them mentally preoccupied with their own concerns.