Chapter 26: Elsa

I wake up to Punzie shaking my shoulders.

"Wake! Up!" she shouts in my face. I yank my pillow out from under me and smack her in the face.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"It's Visiting Day, you sleepy idiot!" She pounces on top of me.

"Get off of me!" I choke. I hit her with the pillow again and she falls into the person behind her, which just happens to be Hans. The creepy guy from when I froze the scissors when Punzie cut off
most of her hair.

"I'm sorry," Punzie says to him. He freaks me out. A few times, he's shown romantic interest in me. I have never had any attraction to him.

"That's quite alright, miss," he says, helping Punzie get her balance back. She smiles at him. Why did he call her "miss"? They're the exact same age!

"So Elsa," Punzie says, turning back to me. "Ready for breakfast?" I nod and follow her and Andrew to the cafeteria.

When we get there, I see someone waving at us. Jack. Jack Frost. He wants us to sit with him.

He sits with Hiccup, Merida, and Flynn. I grab a tray of food and slowly walk over there. Punzie and Andrew follow, clearly astonished.

I sit down across from Jack, who seems engrossed in his porridge. I barely notice it when Hans sits down next to me and puts a hand over my shoulder. Only then does Jack look up and flinch.

"Hey Els," Hans says. I swear, if he says we're dating, I will beat him up.

"Hey Hans," I say, shaking him off. He looks dejected. I don't care. He scares me.

"So. Do you know what the next stage of training is?" Punzie asks.

"No one knows at this point," Flynn says.

"Ooo. Mysterious," Punzie says. We all laugh.

----------

Everyone files into the Pit, hope lifting our spirits. Some know it's misplaced. Others have no idea.

Except Dauntless-born. Their parents are, of course, going to visit them. They can see their kids any time they want after initiation, but right now will be the only time they see their kids for a while. Unless their kid got cut.

Punzie, Andrew, Hans and I look frantically around for our parents. Hans can't find his. Sad, but I don't care at this point. Punzie can't find hers. I kind of feel bad for her. Andrew finds his and immediately runs over to them. He looks so happy.

I look over the crowds of heads. My parents... I can't find them.

Then my hope reignites. A brown bun of hair I'm sure is my mother's. I rush through several layers of people to get to her.

"Elsa?" she asks. I nod. She then embraces me in a tight hug. "Oh my God! You're so strong," she says. "My little girl..." I start to cry.

"I thought you wouldn't come," I sob into her shoulder.

"No," she says. "No crying. I need to tell you something." She grabs my wrist and drags me away.

She keeps walking without stop. It's like she knows her way around here...

We veer off into a dark hallway and crouch down. "Mom, what's this about?" I ask.

"Stage two," she says.

"What about stage two?" I ask.

"What were your test results? The aptitude test?" she asks. Why would she need to know that?

"Uhmmm...uhhhhhh..." I murmur.

"It's okay. You can tell me," she says.

"They...uhhhh...they were inconclusive," I murmur.

"Divergent," my mom says, smiling. Is she smiling? THIS IS BAD!

"Mom, what does that mean?" I ask.

"It means you're different," she says in a rushed tone. "Your body works in a million different ways. They can't control you."

"Mom, you're scaring me," I whisper.

"Sorry. But I need to warm you," she starts. "Stage two. They're going to get inside your head and see how you respond to fear."

"Mom, what does this mean?" I ask.

"I can't say more," she says in a hushed tone. "Just be careful!" Then she starts to walk down the hall. Right before turning out of my view, she turns around. "And have a piece of cake for me! Chocolate was always my favorite." Then she disappears.

Wait... My mom seemed to know her way around better than I do. She knew she liked chocolate. Abnegation doesn't eat chocolate.

Was my mom Dauntless?

----------

I pick at the cake with my fork, chin resting in my other hand. I sit alone, away from Punzie and the rest. I can't believe some of the stuff my mom just said. Could they really get inside my head?

After I finish the cake, which turns out to be really good, I walk back to the dorm room with Punzie and Andrew. I immediately lie down in bed and go to sleep.

//////////

Hi humans.

Bye humans.