Chapter 4

Were people looking at her? She felt like she was getting more looks than usual. This was the third time she'd fixed her hair in the span of a few minutes, and this feeling of wanting to jump out of her skin was new and unwelcome.

"Do you think he would? Olivia?"

"Hmm? "

"I asked you if you thought Ben is planning on asking me to go with him to McCullen's party. Geez, what's up with you."

"Nothing, just anxious about tests and stuff. There's a chemistry one soon," Olivia looked at Maria, doing her best to get absorbed by the conversation and detached from her rebelling brain. "There's a party?"

Maria rolled her eyes.

"Yes, party this weekend. Someone's birthday, maybe, who knows. But it's on Saturday! You were legitimately there when he told us to come," she then squealed and grabbed Olivia's hand which had been fiddling with the one holding her books to her body. "This is the perfect chance for you to get back on the horse- with a low-stakes hookup! We'll get a few drinks in you and find the cutest guy in our vicinity. Girl's night, whoo!"

Maria's exuberance was contagious, and Olivia found herself smiling back. It really didn't take much to influence Olivia and her mood. Plus, something about what Maria said sounded enticing to the current state her thoughts were in.

"A carefree night does sound nice."

The beginning started with Olivia going over to Franny's house where the girls had decided to all convene before going to what's his name's house.

Olivia sat on the edge of Franny's bed, gripping the bedpost and leaning her cheek against it. From this spot, she was right near the vanity but not in the center of the chaos as she waited her turn to get her hair curled.

The rest of her friends were a flurry of energy, all giggling and joking and occasionally yelling while they got each other ready. The atmosphere was familiar and comforting to Olivia with the air in Franny's bedroom hazy thick with the smell of perfume and anticipation for the night ahead. It was just a different form of the sleepovers they'd have as little girls. If the rest of the party wasn't as fun, at least it gave them all a reason to have anticipation fuel this time together.

Olivia felt the most at peace with her situation sitting there on the white duvet.

"Liv- Liv! Where are you, darling?" Alexis yelled over the giddy chatter from her seat at the vanity. The other girls happily shifted a little so Alexis' eyes could meet hers in the mirror. They glimmered like her winking earrings. "Tell me which necklace! Also, pass her the vodka, girls."

Franny slumped down right beside her and handed her the handle. She grinned and pressed into Olivia without a second thought.

Olivia's nose filled with her floral perfume. She felt drunk from it, and a bit from the alcohol.

"Mm, I like the jade," her eyes follow the pendent and dip a little further than necessary to the edge of Alexis' neckline, "but the other shorter silver one draws the eyes to your neck. And that's, like, really nice," Olivia drawled absentmindedly as she admired the dips and smooth plane of the girl's exposed skin through the reflection of the mirror.

Olivia blinked when she was done speaking and smiled dopily at Alexis instead of the column of her neck.

Alexis giggled and made a considering noise, sounding flattered, "This is why I ask you and not Miss What's-The-Difference over here."

"Hey!" More giggles.

Olivia's chest felt warm with the feeling of belonging. Or maybe from the vodka.