CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

*LISTEN TO 'HO HEY' BY THE LUMINEERS AS YOU READ THIS - I CRIED*

"Okay," Vanessa breathed as she helped Mark carry his bags through the airport, "This is where we stop walking." 

Mark pulled his suitcase up to that it could stand on it's own and Vanessa put his bags on the floor as he wrapped his arms around her neck and she hooked her arms underneath his, closing her eyes as she relished the embrace.

"You'll only be there for a few days and then we'll join you." She chuckled as Mark pulled away and crouched down onto the floor where he pulled the three kids into his arms and held them for a few moments before he pressed a kiss to each of their heads and allowed them to move out of his grasp and carry on running around each other in small circles.

"A few days too many." He groaned, standing back up as he took her hand in his and ran his thumb across her knuckles soothingly as she looked up at him. He leaned down and kissed Vanessa softly, savouring the feel of her lips against his.

"Stop being so dramatic." She breathed as she pulled away from him and kissed his cheek.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" She smiled and he nodded, picking up his bags from the floor as he started rolling his suitcase away from them. He turned around and waved at the kids as they waved at him as well and he disappeared around a corner.

"When will we see daddy again?" Amelia asked, looking up at Vanessa who had small tears in her eyes.

"Well, he has to make sure everything in New York is good and then we'll go. So just a few days, honey." She promised as she picked Caroline up, placing her on her hip as she grabbed Charlie's hand and Charlie held Amelia's hand, making sure they all stayed together as they walked through the busy airport.

It felt strange to Vanessa that she would be leaving Seattle soon and they had already packed most of the house up for it to be shipped off to New York to their new house that they had bought there.

A part of her was sad about the change but she was mostly happy that she was beginning a new chapter with her family and she knew how excited Mark was about moving so that was a huge plus. She breathed out deeply as she kept her eyes on her kids, making sure they stayed with her as they walked out of the airport.

***

"Okay, say goodbye to Nathan and Megan." Vanessa ordered softly, gently ushering her children through the door to the conference room. The kids ran forward and hugged both of the adults, making both of them chuckle as they hugged the children back.

"You really have to go?" Nathan asked her, resting his hand on Amelia's back as she hugged his legs.

"I wish I could stay but Mark is already in New York and I think that if I suddenly pulled out of it, he wouldn't be very happy." She smiled, ruffling the curls on Charlie's head as he stood next to her after giving Megan a goodbye hug.

"Just a long day of goodbyes, huh?" Megan asked her and Vanessa sighed as she nodded her head and dreaded the day ahead of them.

"Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it."

"You'll be fine. Just think, you'll see him tonight and everything will be better. It's not like you can't call." Nathan reminded her and Vanessa smiled at him before pulling him into a tight hug, savouring the feeling.

"I'll miss you." She breathed, holding him tighter before letting go and turning to Megan, tears gathering in her eyes as she engulfed her older sister in a hug.

"I only just got you back." Vanessa cried, sniffling slightly.

"You're not losing me. I'll always be here." Megan reminded her and Vanessa nodded slightly, wiping her eyes before she pulled away and looked behind her where the kids were playing, bored of the goodbye business.