CHAPTER ELEVEN

"Your going to be just fine." Vanessa smiled at the child laying in the bed, "The surgery was successful and after a few days of observation, you should be able to go home." She concluded and the kid smiled widely, looking at her mother with excited eyes.

"I get to go home!" She cried, hugging her mother tightly and causing Vanessa to smile even wider, waving goodbye to the two of them and closing the door quietly behind her.

She loved every single time she got to save a patient - telling a child that they were healthy and able to go home was the best part of her job. She would take all of the pain of losing patients if it meant discharging one, it was the best feeling ever. 

"Vanessa!" She heard a call from behind her and she whipped her head around, instantly knowing the voice.

"Heyy." She greeted him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pecking his lips softly, smiling up at him sweetly as he smirked at her playfully.

"What?" She asked, smile drooping a bit but not leaving her face completely.

"Oh nothing, just my super hot girlfriend." He replied and she blushed, smacking his arm lightly.

"Oh, shut up." She smiled, turning her back to him to walk off but he grabbed her waist, pulling her in and slamming her against his body roughly, causing her to giggle softly.

"This is the peds floor." She stated as he buried his face in her neck.

"And?" His voice was muffled but she could hear the cockiness lacing it.

"Children. A whole floor of children." She explained, still giggling as he nuzzled his face into her neck, placing gentle kisses on the flesh.

"And?" He repeated.

"Mark." She said, more sternly this time and he pulled away, pouting like a child at her. 

"One more child." She joked, kissing his cheek softly as he continued to pout at her, feigning hurt at her words.

"You have to go." She demanded, pushing his arms from around her waist and looking into his eyes, "I saw the surgery you have scheduled for this morning so go and get ready for it." 

"Okay." He muttered, placing multiple short kisses on her lips before walking away from her. He looked back at her as he was about to walk past the corner, sending her a wink and a smirk before he disappeared completely, leaving her stood in the hallway, completely entranced.

***

"He's leaving?" She asked, sadness wracking through her body. 

"Yeah, it's his last day." The nurse informed, typing something up on the computer at the nurses station. 

Her ex-boyfriend, Graham, was leaving the hospital and hadn't told her. Just as she was going to say something else, Graham came around the corner and she walked up to him. When he came to Seattle after her she was so excited to see him again - to mend the friendship that had broken after the breakup - but now he was leaving?

"You're leaving?" She questioned, looking into his eyes.

"Oh, yeah." He answered, stuffing his hands into his pockets and looking back at her.

"I'm gonna miss seeing your stupid face." She laughed, they had become friends after the breakup and it was going to be weird to not see him just walking around the halls.

"Same here." He whispered, pulling her in for a hug. He threw his arms around her tightly, his arms wrapping all the way around her small form. She had her arms around him as well, it felt weird to be hugging him after all the time but it also felt strangely natural.