Part 18 - Sophie

I rolled back into the cloud of hairspray that filled the bathroom. I sniffed at the pungent smell of burnt hair run through a curling iron one time too many. The bra, hanging over the edge of the counter, awaited me. I launched a sigh at it. The damn thing didn't budge. I shrugged. It lay there, testing me.

It was one night. I would burn it afterwards. A midnight bonfire in the backyard. Maybe I could convince Lily to join me. Maybe ...

"Sophie. Get out here!"

"Hold on a sec," I yelled back. "I'm not done."

"Yes, you are. Get out here. Now!"

"Lily?!"

"Now!"

I pulled my blouse back down. The one I had just started pulling off. Maybe I was saved from the curse of the red bra. I rolled out of the bathroom and down the hall toward the front door. Before I even knew what was going on, Lily was ordering me around. "Go get Sally. Or Bob."

"What are you talking about?" I pushed closer to the door. "Pete's not here, I hope. I need to finish getting dressed." Lily didn't say anything. "You know," I huffed, "I decided to wear the stupid bra."

Now Lily stepped to the side and pushed the door wide open.

"My God. What happened?" I wheeled to the threshold, where the ridge of the door's frame stopped my wheels. Pete lay on his side. Blood oozed from cuts on his face. A trickle of it leaked out of the corner of his mouth. His eyes were half open but I don't think he saw a thing. His breath came and went, accompanied by a ghastly wheezing that sounded like sandpaper rubbing away deep in his lungs.

"What ..."

"I have no idea. But you need to get Sally while I call 911."

Pete moved ever so slightly as he took a deeper, croaking breath. "No 911."

"What?" Lily and I said in unison while Lily crouched down next to Pete. His eyes were still at half-mast, and he curled more and more into himself.

"They'll arrest him."

Lily leaned closer and rested her hand on his shoulder, pulling away when he winced at the contact. "Who?"

Pete shuddered and closed his eyes before opening them wide and staring at Lily. He looked at me again as I sat in my chair in the doorway. "My father."

"Your ..." Lily began before Pete shuddered again and tried to wrap his arms around his shoulders

"I'm cold," he whispered. "Could you get me a blanket?"

Lily lurched to her feet and raced into the house, brushing past me without a word. She returned with the blanket from the sofa in one hand and the phone in the other. As she spread the blanket to cover Pete, she turned to me. "Go get Sally." Her eyes were on fire as she began poking at the phone.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling 911," she whispered at me furiously. "If his dad did this to him, I'm gonna make sure he's arrested."

"No. Please," Pete mumbled.

"Go on. Go get Sally."

And I did. I pushed my chair across the threshold and sped down the ramp, gathering as much speed as I could to get to the Anthems sooner instead of later. I careened around the corner on one wheel, holding my breath the whole way.