18

I open my eyes, unsure of where I am for a moment. Blinking a few times, I see Adam's profile before me. He's lying on his back with one well-muscled arm behind his head, his eyes closed. I lie there without moving and study his face.

His lashes are sinfully long and dark against his face. His features are hard marbled edges that scream to be touched. Adam's beautiful in a purely masculine way. His presence here is comforting. And a little voice in my mind whispers that I'm not alone.

Inevitably as I lie here, uninvited memories from the night before come crashing like violent waves inside my head. I inhale sharply, and Adam opens his eyes as he turns to look at me. His face flashes concern for an instant before it smooths back to the unreadable mask. His eyes search my face.

His attention makes me feel self-conscious so I look away as I roll onto my back. The moment suddenly feels too intimate, and I can't help but feel vulnerable again. I loathe feeling helpless.

Once again, I fell apart, and he picked up the pieces and brought me home. Why does he keep saving me? Why does he care?

Sitting up, I swing my legs over the side of the bed. I try to clear my head of the fear that threatens to suffocate me once more. I'm safe. The sun is up. I'm home.

My hand finds the pendant hanging against my chest. I feel rather than see Adam rise from the bed behind me. He moves around the bed to stand in front of me. Raising my gaze to his I see him looking at the pendant in my grasp.

"Your Hunter succeeded where I failed. When did he give you the Pog an bhais?" he asks with a hard look in his eyes.

When I don't answer he pulls his gaze from the pendant, and looks at me, waiting. I'm awake now and anxious to know about the pendent that saved my life.

"The what? I can't even pronounce that. What is it?" I ask, confused, but interested.

This relic is the only reason I'm alive right now. I'm eager to learn every detail I can.

"It's called the Kiss of Death, and there are few in existence," he says, turning to leave the room.

I jump up to follow on his heels. Looking down at myself I notice that I'm still wearing my now wrinkled clothing from yesterday. I feel gross and self-conscious. I'm torn between hounding Adam for information and taking a shower. Curiosity wins over hygiene, and I follow him into the kitchen.

He starts gathering what he needs to make a pot of coffee. I watch him with wonder as he moves about my kitchen as though he's done this task hundreds of times and knows where everything is. It's pointless to ask since he ignores certain questions, so I don't even bother to ask how he knows my kitchen so well.

I lean against the counter and watch him start the coffee maker. Next he pulls out a pan from the cabinet and eggs from the fridge.

"Why don't you take a shower while I make you something to eat?" he asks as he works.

My mouth hangs open. I would never expect this domestic display from him. It feels weird and nice at the same time. Closing my mouth, I head for the shower. I can now say that watching a man perform domestic tasks is surprisingly sexy.

Does he know how to cook eggs?

***

After a quick shower I dress in yoga pants and a large sweatshirt. My hair is in a wet bun at the nape of my neck when I return to the kitchen. Still feeling like I was run over with a truck, but noticeably cleaner, I emerge from the bedroom. I notice the drapes are drawn tight, making the room darker than I usually keep it during the day.