Transfer News: Magalhaes, Schmeichel and Jimenez

03/08/2020

With United’s campaign yet to end and the Europa League Round of 16 looming over, British tabloids continue to link the Red Devils with numerous players. Lille centre-back, Gabriel Magalhaes and Leicester City goalkeeper, Kasper Schmeichel are the latest to be added to the growing list of United targets.

Gabriel Magalhaes, 22, centre-back, LOSC Lille

The Brazilian centre-back has been rumoured to join Manchester United or Arsenal this summer and Lille will demand at least 30 million euros. Mohammed Bouhafsi of RMC Sport tweeted that Gabriel’s agent has met with United ‘leaders’ to discuss a potential move but no concrete offer has been made.

Magalhaes is 6’3 and left footed. You don’t see many left-footed centre-backs. Manchester City have reportedly snapped up Nathan Ake from Bournemouth who is left-footed. Ake was subject to a move to United after a video of Solskjaer congratulating Ake and telling him “We need a left-footed centre-back.”

Gabriel Magalhaes could surely make a good pairing with Harry Maguire as he is strong and quick. Many people doubt Victor Lindelöf despite the Swede putting in some pretty solid performances towards the end of the Premier League season. It’s true that a quick and motile partner will make Harry Maguire look even better and could also cancel out a few of his mistakes as he is slow and can be easily fooled by mercurial wingers.

Kasper Schmeichel, 33, Goalkeeper, Leicester City

God forbid that Romero actually joins Leeds United, we might have to search for a new back-up. I also don’t see why United would want to sell to a rival but I also believe that Sergio Romero is too good to be a number two goalkeeper.

According to The Sun, Kasper is seen as a ready-made option to replace De Gea! I still think De Gea has something to offer but his recent performances have put us in a sticky situation. Like Romero, Schmeichel too is a fantastic goalkeeper but should the club look to Dean Henderson instead?

Henderson has had two impressive loan spells at Sheffield United but there are questions whether the United youth product is ready for the big stage. Personally, I feel sending him out on loan would do us no harm and he could continue his development at Sheffield or we could rotate him with De Gea next season.

Raul Jimenez, 29, Striker, Wolverhampton Wanderers

Latest reports claim that Juventus have pretty much won the race for the Mexican forward. Raul Jimenez has established himself as a top forward in the Premier League and has scored 27 goals in all competitions. He also has 10 assists and has a high work rate.

Ole has made it no secret that he would love to add another striker to the team. The Norwegian has also spoken about the way Sir Alex Ferguson had 3-4 strikers fighting for their positions in the first team.

Odion Ighalo has produced a decent return but I’m not sure whether the club will make his move permanent. Having a traditional number 9 in the club will give Solskjaer the opportunity to try different formations and play different styles.  

Jack and Jadon

The prospects of United signing Jack Grealish took a heavy hit as Aston Villa survived the relegation battle. Villa would be open to selling Grealish for cheaper fee had they been relegated but now the club could demand in the excess of 80 million for their captain. It is highly unlikely that Manchester United will make two big money signings in this transfer window.

United’s priority target, Jadon Sancho could be sold to United if the club fork up 120 million euros. Dortmund will also agree the fee in installments, it has been reported that United will offer the German outfit an initial fee of 80 million euros with 40 million spread out of the next two years. Both clubs are said to in advanced talks according to Fabrizio Romano.