Chapter 8

“Have a safe journey.”

“Thanks.” Adan grabbed the package and stashed it under his cloak. Keeping his eyes down, hidden under his hood, he left the shop and started down the road through the town. It had been a long time since he'd visited any habited place, but he had deemed the risk worth it. He'd needed to change some of the gold into lesser coin to avoid suspicion. There had been a money lender and having some fresh goods to eat was always a temptation.

He had also wanted to see what action the duke had taken over his lost children. So far it looked like it wasn't much. There were rumours of the children going missing and search parties being after them, but nothing to indicate bodies had been found. It would be big news when they were deemed dead. Adan hoped to be far away by then.

He hurried out of town. The less time spent there the better. People were happy to ignore him and go about their own business. It was a town that was accustomed to travellers going through. Being along one of the busiest roads in the realm had that effect. Adan walked past inn signs, stables and everything a traveller might need. The temptation to get a room and sleep in a comfortable bed was not small, but his instincts told him to move on.

Get used to sleeping in the woods again. That's what I'll be doing in the future. Give up on the idea of a comfortable life. What I had with Gan was an anomaly. Treasure the memories and toughen up.

The road was well travelled and there were plenty of others making use of it. Wagons passed Adan along with the occasional group of riders and others who had to walk. It forced him to keep his hood up and even after stepping onto a less travelled road he couldn't risk suddenly running into a traveller. They'd report him in no time. Or he'd have to kill them.

Neither option appealed to him much.

At least the weather had been favourable to him since leaving the cabin. There had been a few days with sporadic rain, but those had not lasted long and the rest of the days had been sunny so his clothes had plenty of time to dry. It was a sunny day and Adan was in no great hurry now that the town was behind him so he spent a good time enjoying lunch under the shadows the nearby trees offered.

He continued on after a bit of rest. He didn't have a specific place in mind where to go. No inhabited place was safe for him so going some place with few people seemed the best choice. The distant mountains he could see from time to time held a certain temptation. Few people travelled those, but there was wildlife to feed on. He could live there without being seen for years.

The road led him into a forest that blocked the mountains from view. The shadows cast by the trees made him feel comfortable enough to pull back his hood. Even if someone came down the road they wouldn't see his eyes and he'd have plenty of time to life the hood to cover up.

He was not ready when two men appeared from the bushes with swords in hand. Looking back he could see one more appearing behind him with weapon in hand. He pulled his hood up and his hand went for his own sword.

“Easy there, traveller,” said one of the two men in front of him. He had a bald head and clothes made of patched up leather and cloth. In the shadows it was hard to make out any details about his face. “Give us your money and no harm will come to you.”

Adan pulled out his blade. Maybe they would think twice if they saw he was ready to defend himself.

The bald man shook his head. “You don't want to do that, friend. There's five of us and one of you. Are the coins in your pouch really worth dying for?”

“You should ask that same question for yourselves,” Adan grunted and glanced back. The one behind him was advancing slowly but surely.

The bald man chuckled and stepped forward. “If you want to die then we'll be happy to oblige.”