Chapter 6

Adan had turned from a boy into a man. At seventeen he had the black stubble of a beard covering his chin. He had grown taller and the years of work and training Gan had put into him had given his arms muscle and width to his chest that had not been there before. Being well fed and not scrounging for every bite of food meant he had everything needed to grow strong.

He sat on the river bank, black hair hanging around his face. He'd followed the small creek that ran past his home all the way to where it joined up with the bigger river. It was where Gan had fished him out all those years ago. It didn't have steep banks at that point. There was a stretch of grass that separated the forest from the river and the green field went all the way up to the river. Adan's feet didn't quite touch the water as he sat on the slightly down angled bank.

He had on a pair of ordinary trousers and a shirt that could have been worn by any farmer. Gan had gotten them on his last trip to his friend. Making your own clothes was something neither of them were very good at and even then they had access only to materials that would make for winter clothing. His trusty knife was holstered on his belt.

It was a rare day. Gan had told him to go enjoy himself. No training, no work, just relaxation. Adan didn't mind it. In fact, he welcomed it. He'd been worked hard ever since he'd arrived at the little hut and only in the past year was he starting to get days off from training. It made him feel slightly proud over the fact he'd improved enough to earn that.

He leaned back against the soft grass, put his hands behind his head and closed his eyes. The warm sunlight soon had him feeling lazy and almost dozing off. He felt safe enough. In the years he'd spent there, no one had even come even close to their little cabin.

I wish this could go on forever.

Adan knew it to be wishful thinking. Something would change sooner or later, something would come and drive him back into the world. He hated being so pessimistic, but it had served him well so far. As much as he liked Gan he had not allowed himself to grow too attached to the man. If need be, he'd be able to walk away without looking back.

Even after years of living in the woods there was still something inherently calming about the noises of the forest. The leaves rubbing against each other in the wind, birds singing, grasshopper rubbing their legs together. It all created a soothing symphony.

What was that?

Adan frowned and opened his eyes. He'd heard something that didn't belong in the usual mix of noises. He heard it again. The whining of a horse. He heard the heavy thumps of its hooves as it galloped closer. He knew the best thing to do was to stay down. The river bank would hide him from anyone going by the even ground above. The tall grass offered additional protection from any passer by.

I can't be seen.

The sound of the running horse came closer and it passed by him, sounding almost like thunder. The horse let out a cry and it was followed by the startled scream of a woman. Adan peeked up from the tall grass in time to see her tumbling down the river bank in a mess of a blonde hair and her riding dress.

Shit.

The horse kept running. Adan waited. More horses were headed that way. He remained hidden as best he could and let out a sight of relief when the three horses that followed rode past, chasing after the riderless horse, not aware the woman had fallen. He waited a moment after the horses had passed to ensure no one else was coming. He then peeked up from the grass to see where the woman was. Looking hard he spotted a piece of her dress peeking from the thick grass. It was no wonder the riders had missed it. They'd probably had their eyes forward, trying to not lose the one they were chasing, and not down the river bank.