Prologue

The rules of the game I play are simple, but if the rules are broken or lost, the consequences are deadly.  There are only a few players of this game in the world, but those of us who play wish that we did not.

The insight it gives us tells us of things we truly do not want to know about the future.  I have found things out that no one wants to know about before they happen.  Aren’t I lucky?  I can answer that for you, honey – no.

When my mother and father found out that I was an Inferciph, she swore she had always seen the Devil in me and tried to send me to her dearest sister Margaret.  Lovely auntie Margaret who'd been dead for nearly 4 years at the point...

My father was distraught, but his hatred for Inferciph’s prevailed and I was kicked out of the house, claiming that I was going to die one day.  Whenever I think of my father, I see the same thing.

13.

The same thing, over and over again.  The same number.

You're probably wondering what an Inferciph is.  Inferciph’s are the rarest race this world has ever seen, when we walk past you, you would not sense us.  We carry the dream-like aura that people tend to ignore if they go by.  We do not have distinguishing features, apart from the beauty.  Nonetheless, that could be mistaken for natural beauty.

I used to have tumbling gold ringlets, but now I have devilish red layers that just go past my shoulders.  My skin, pure ivory and my eyes are honest to God neon green.  When I was a little girl, people used to compliment my mother for having such a beautiful daughter and she would swell with pride.  Now all the pictures of me have been burnt.

There has never been a Morganna Liellera Phoebe Evans and there is no way my parents will accept her the way she is now.  Not as an Inferciph, they would sooner die than admit that their youngest child is an Inferciph.

Forgive me, I still haven't told you what an Inferciph is.  We are a race of beautiful people, not like the Aryan race the Nazis wanted, we are just beautiful people who see things, things that normal people do not see.  At least, not in the way we do.

We see numbers, but not in the conventional way.  We see the numbers meanings, their true meanings.  Not the ridiculous things they feed you, like 13 being immediately unlucky.  Thirteen actually means more than meets the eye.  I see it every time I think of my father throwing me out of the house.  More than meets the eye.

It all seems so simple, doesn’t it.  And it is – there are only two rules.

1.)     You cannot tell anyone out of your family that you are an Inferciph.

2.)     If you run out of numbers, you die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I know this isn't much good - it's one of the older stories on my laptop.  But I was talking to Wonder Woman and she persuaded me to put it up and see what happened...

Hope you like it...

Swinnie ♥