Chapter 2: Zev Henderson

Chapter 2:  Zev Henderson

Damn it! This piece of shit is harder to do than I thought. 

Zev was walking slowly and sluggishly up his stairs, carrying a salver that contains just water and fruits.  He thinks Kate would appreciate these and will somehow relieve her current condition.  He is convinced he knew well this girl, and by doing these might hit the purpose why he's even here.

His travel on his private plane from Davao was quick as his own decision to see Kate in Manila.  In his thirty years of existence, all he does is date a woman.  When he feels the woman is starting to get attached to him, he leaves her.  He doesn't want to commit to any woman. His life evolves to just one purpose - enjoy while it last!

In his younger years, all his Mother ever asks her to do is read books.  He has no memory of enjoying his childhood, like all the kids he see playing from outside his bedroom window.  He studied home school, his Instructors gave him the literacy and expertise he will ever need to run their family business.  It is only on his fifteenth birthday that he was able to see beyond their property.  The only reason he had that opportunity was because his Mother died, in what he knew that time was a car accident.  But only after a couple of years that he realized the real reason why she has perished.  And that revelation alone made him swear he will never do to any other woman, just being around someone like his Father and himself will put any woman at harm.  A curse that he inherited from his Father has consumed him until his adulthood.

Until she met Kate.

Franz Kafka, good author.  Maybe I can grab this one.  (Sniffs) Another God damn tourist!

 Zev was reading the preface for Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka when he sniffed an unfamiliar scent.  He has lived long in this City that everyone here he knew how they actually smell.  Even the random travelers usually smells the same gourmand for eating too much on their vacation.  But as he sniffed longer, whoever this tourist is, smells different; the scent is sweet like the chamomile flowers her mother plants in their garden, he salivates just thinking his nose close to the skin of this human being.

When he turned his head up, he saw a woman marching across him wearing a white shirt and faded jeans.  Her cheeks were all pink, probably due to the heat at this time of the day.  Her eyes flicker sideways on her peripheral to Zev's direction, and for some reason, that made his blood increase rapidly than normal.

Who is this woman? I have to know her.  No, I just have to ignore her like the rest of the fucking tourist that comes here. She'll come to me anyways one of this day.

Zev tried to control himself but her scent has been giving him urges to rank her closer.

He made an effort controlling his feet if he'll be pacing right or left: right to the exit door, or left to the romance section where this girl is silently reading a book front.  A glance was all it takes to finalize his decision, a glimpse of her rosy cheeks, her almond eyes sparkle from the lighting to where she's standing, her lips slightly pouting, and it was a good sight for Zev.

As he started walking towards the girl, Zev was smiling as the girl pouts her lip some more, maybe she's deliberating whether or not she's getting the book.  And that is where he felt complacent, in his mind; a book is the best medium to start a conversation.

His silent approach makes this girl squelch a little and her almond eyes widen in surprise.

"Steel.. I have to say, I didn't had a chance to know her better by her works.  What is it about? That one you're holding?"  Zev said intelligently.