Chapter 1: Hunted

We scrambled to the wall. I looked around and saw my classmates, my friends in sheer panic. Girls were crying, boys were sitting quietly, staring off into the abyss. My teacher ran around frantically locking the doors, turning off the lights, and trying to keep everyone calm, quiet, and against the wall.

We heard heavy footsteps clunk down the hallway closer and closer to our room. They stopped right outside our door. The room was eerie and still. Not a breath whispered out of anyone's mouth. I looked at the other kids and saw terror glinting in their tear-filled eyes, except for Zack. He was staring right at me without a glint of fear. His black hair framed his stern, dangerous face. He motioned for me. I shook my head, but he insisted. I scooted toward him slowly. Kids looked at me in shock and frustration. My teacher motioned me to get along the wall. I wanted to obey but I was already close to him so I kept going. He grabbed my arm and whispered

"We need to get out of here. He's here for you. Now here's the plan..." he continued but I only half-listened to him because I was stuck on what he previously said. 'He's here for you.' Why me? Who is he? I was about to ask but the door shuttered. Someone was trying to kick it open. I looked back at Zack in fear. He grabbed my arm and dragged me across the floor. We hid behind a lab table. I leaned my back against a cool metal table and closed my eyes. Glass shattered and the door opened. Kids screamed and cried.

"Where's Ashlyn?" a deep voice asked. I could here shuffling around. I imagined them looking around for me desperately.

"We do not have a Ashlyn in this class." My teacher said bravely.

"That's a shame." The man sighed. Then he open fired. Kids screamed and tried to escape. I opened my mouth to scream but a hand clamped down on my mouth. I looked at Zack who's eyes were glimmering and sad. The man walked around the room, searching. He came close to our table and we slid quietly to the other side, out of sight. The man exhaled and walked out. The footsteps slowly faded away. I slouched against the metal and started to weep. Zack's hand latched around my arm and yanked me to my feet. He dragged me to the door. I saw my friends sprawled on the ground, dead.