00:06

.
Reed
.

It was the weekend and I found myself preoccupied with my new laptop I recently purchased. I was making it all fancy, with choosing a nice picture to set as my background. I was browsing the pictures I had stored in a USB when I stumbled across a set of videos.

With giving it less thought, I played the first one.

I remembered the day as though it was yesterday. We, which included Karl, Jon and myself, decided to take our bikes out and go around the city. The days were longer and the nights were shorter and we made sure to take full advantage of both times. During the day, we would be biking, and at night, we would make our own fire and camp outside Jon's garden.

"You shouldn't do so many cartwheels. Especially near the fire." Karl mused out loud, tipping the rest of his Walkers packet down his throat. I could detect a hint of worry but Karl would still do anything to seem blasé and nonchalant in front of everyone.

"Stop being a chicken. You're almost rubbing off that cowardly trait on me." I said, looking over my shoulder and shooting my twin brother a smirk.

Jon caught my eye instead and he shook his head as a chuckle rumbled out of him.

We were surrounded around our makeshift fire, with snacks all around us and the moon hovering above us, providing us with sufficient light to see. It was a quiet night and it was fairly warm.

I did another cartwheel, this time, I quickly changed my position before landing so I ended up doing a hand stand.

I lifted up my head and nearly recoiled at the closeness of the fire. It was directly in front of me, the crispy smell and the crackling sounds it was making sounding taunting to my own ears. I felt the scorching heat claw at my face.

"Yo, shit, Reed!" Jon sputtered out and I heard him shoot up from his seat on the flat grass.

I felt his strong pair of hands grab my middle part and he quickly pulled me away from the fire, whilst I was still up in an handstand.

Karl was right in my face as soon as I planted my ass on the grass. "ARE YOU CRACKED IN THE HEAD?" Karl yelled, his face looming over mine and he was so close I had to physically lean my whole body backwards.

"Chill man." I said softly.

"CHILL?" Karl parroted loudly, his voice hinting the anger he was suppressing. Karl hardly got angry and when it did, it would usually be real ugly so he always tried his best to keep a lid on it; especially around me. "You could have burned half your face off."

"But I didn't!" I shot back and it was so the wrong thing to say.

A dark expression clouded over Karl's face.

"That's because Jon grabbed you before you could."

I looked over at Jon and he too looked slightly pissed at me. Regardless, I shot him my trademark smile. "Thanks for the save, hero."

Jon shook his head at me again, trying his best to hide the curve of his lips. "Anytime, damsel."

My heart fluttered as usual.

"Jon, fuck your ways." Karl growled quietly under his breath and I snapped my eyes back to Karl.

"What ways?" I asked.

"His heroic ways." Karl scoffed.

I frowned at my twin brother. "There's nothing wrong with Jon being heroic." I countered.