"You truly didn't wish I'd died then, Father? My uses are few in life, bound to The Axel. What is a fat, spoilt brat compared to our greatest treasure? You alone know. All I have is a guess. My guesses tend to be right."

Zier gaped at the pale figure beside him, just as unnerved as he was guilty. Coris was probably trying to derail the conversation, deflect suspicion from Zier by offending Father, painting himself a monster as he usually did. Yet, he was emotionless, mechanical, and so nonchalant was his smile, Zier couldn't imagine it being just an act or a spite; it was too perfect.

A crack opened in the gray before the ice closed again. Zier realized then; it was a lie and the truth, an unconscious cry for help. Did Father and Mother catch it, too?

Father pursed his lips as he breathed deeply, regaining his calm. He straightened, his hand closed over Mother's in reassurance.

"If you believe ill of those who wish you blessings, they will in time believe the worst of you in kind," said Father solemnly. His eyes narrowed again with fury, "Do you mean to say you stole The Axel for Graye because you didn't trust my judgment? Not to please Agnesia?"

"Perhaps, Father." Coris tilted his head, "More consistent with the monster who razed Cristoria to ash. Also, I'd rather you kill me a foe than spare me a fool, if I may choose."

Silence fell as Coris alone chuckled at his dark humor. Father gritted his teeth, shaking his head slowly,

"You can build the mightiest wall with mortar and stone and bones of steel, and discord will bring it down swifter than dragonfire," He said softly,

"You've proven that with your enemies, yet you have no faith in your kin. That is why you fail. So long as you refuse to trust, it's no longer wise to trust you with The Axel's protection."

The room was rid of air as if swept by a storm. Coris was wide-eyed with shock for once. Father sat down and pulled a half-written letter towards him, dipped his falcon-feather quill into his inkwell, and continued it,

"The Axel's secret has been compromised." He said without looking up, "After the May Fest, you are to leave with your wife for Manor Safyre. I'll have Baroness Norena stock Villa Lapis with a moon's supply of Safyre's best mead. You are to return once Lady Arinel has conceived your child."

That last part wasn't what Zier had suggested. Coris blinked, then his sickly cheeks flushed to healthy red,

"But I'm barren, Father! How am I supposed to impregnate her? Do you plan to exile me?" He snapped, arms flailing in exasperation.

"Again! You believe the worst of me, Coris!" Father shot back to his feet. His knuckles shone white as he jabbed a weathered finger at the letter, "You can never be sure if you're barren. For all we know, Arinel might be carrying your child as we speak!"

"How could she when I haven't lain with her once?" Coris retorted. Zier hastily corrected him,

"Brother, about that—"

Coris whipped around. As it dawned on him, his face turned deeper red. He glanced between Mother and Father, eyes bulging with disbelief and hurt.

"You spied on our First Night?" He rasped, "I thought we'd abolished that embarrassing rite decades ago. And you chided me for distrusting you?"

"If you so loathe us keeping watch over you, might I suggest not manipulating your own parents with secrets and lies?"

Father raised an eyebrow, his cool simmering with fury. Coris tensed in alarm. Father's eyes narrowed,

"I understand you being against the marriage. What I don't understand is going behind mine and Lord Crosset's backs to rescue Arinel." Father shook his head with a frustrated sigh, "You're eighteen, Coris! What do you know about what would be best for her?"