Naturally, just as he opens his mouth to reply, a knock at the window startles you both. On the other side, Derek wiggles his brows smugly, motioning for you to come outside. Reid nods and drops your hand, not even bothering to continue his thought. 

"Well well well," Penelope's voice makes you jump slightly as you walk outside, senses on edge from the anxiety you're having. You look at her with a guilty grin, feeling a bit like a toddler caught coloring on the walls. "Who would've thought? Actually, all of us assumed it would happen eventually. But nobody bet on it being this soon into the protective custody." 

"I was like a week away!" Emily interjects, walking over, glass of wine already in hand. "I said 3 weeks of being here would push them together. So everyone owes me $10 when we get home. I'll take either cash or Venmo." 

"You were betting on us hooking up?" Spencer asks, lips turning upward in a smirk despite the annoyance in his voice. "Was everybody in on this?" 

"Yup," Rossi calls from his lounger as you all walk toward the main house. "At first I figured you guys had gotten together after we went to that bar in Georgetown, but I changed my bet to around Christmastime. I figured the holiday spirit might get you guys in the mood." 

You roll your eyes, blushing at the memory of the team bonding night a couple of months ago. Spencer had been next to you in the booth, the two of you whispering to each other and giggling all night. At the time, it hadn't registered as anything more than a harmless friendship. But thinking of the way his hand brushed up against yours and his eyes focused on the way you brought the beer bottle to your lips - you should've seen this coming. 

"There you guys are," Hotch exits the main house with JJ in tow, a smile on his face. You nearly laugh out loud at the extra button he left open on his polo, but manage to hold it in because it's nice to see him happy. And not pissed at you for fucking your co-worker, which would surely be the case under normal circumstances. "Sit down, we have to talk." 

"Look I don't know how much you guys heard but-" you begin, only to be cut off when Hotch chuckles, shaking his head. 

"It's not about that," he motions to the open lounge and you both take a seat, frowning slightly when Spencer leaves a gap between the two of you. "The agents on the case have a lead on Arlo Green. And it's a credible one. They're going to confirm further but if he's where they think he is, the plan is to arrest him on Tuesday." 

"Wait seriously?" you ask, mouth agape and excitement rushing over you. The son of a bitch with a personal vendetta against you was finally gonna get what he deserves. "Where is he? How did they find him? Is he planning anything else?" 

"They arrested one of his associates trying to break into Emily's apartment," JJ explains. "After an all night interrogation, he finally gave him up and said he's living in a cabin up in Vermont." 

"So then, would we get to go home on Tuesday?" Spencer cuts in, voice hopeful. Your eyes shift down, suddenly daunted by the idea of returning to normal life in 5 days. It's selfish, you know. But between the bureau's policies and added responsibilities, "normal" life may not be as easy for the two of you. 

"If all goes well, as early as Friday," Hotch answers. "They need to get him, interrogate him, confirm there are no active threats, and then we'll be all set. So we have at least another week here, but then hopefully can go home." 

"So we have a week to party," Emily raises her glass with a laugh. Derek and Rossi both chuckle in response. "Starting...now!" 

"Alright well hold on," JJ laughs, turning to face you two. You bite the inside of your lip, knowing where this was going. You love JJ and she would never intentionally hurt you, but it's no secret there's some strange, unspoken emotions lingering between her and Spencer. Not in the way that she'd ever act upon it, her love for Will and the boys is obvious, but she's curious about your relationship. Or whatever it's called when you have sex with someone and both tell the other one you love them.  "First, you two have some explaining to do!"