Salvation - Part 1

Josephine

I'm anxiously walking this long corridor of our building until I reach my supervisor's office, ready to take up a new case this month. It has been like this for the last 2 years, desperately trying to earn points and finally get my degree as a psychotherapist. I always wanted to do this, since I could remember. I have to admit that is extremely hard, coming face to face with people and their unique stories, feeling the burden of having to be the one to lead them out of the darkness without making a single mistake.

Some cases were quite easy and didn't last long but I came across a few people that were battling such hard issues that I felt hopeless and unhelpful. I pray that it won't be anything so tricky this month for my metal's state sake.

"Good morning Jo, right on time like everyday" my supervisor Jordan, greets me with a smile.

"I hate being late" I exclaim taking a seat across his desk. He then proceeds to give me a yellow folder nodding to me that I will find everything I need in here regarding my new "case".

"It's quite tricky this time, but I'm sure you will handle it" he says puffing out the smoke from his cigarette.

"Well I was hoping for something easier" I admit with a frown.

"You are great in this Jo, you will handle it perfectly. I have faith in you" he reassures me and I can't hide my confidence levels raising higher.

I pitch him goodbye and make my way back at the apartment. I haven't taken a single peak at this folder, as I wait for my Uber to drop me off at home, get my usual cappuccino and get to work. It's like a small ritual of mine before every case.

When I arrive at home, I grab my hot cup of coffee and open the folder only to be shocked at what it holds inside. This guy is around my age, only a year older. Not many information are given apart from the following:

Name: Hero Fiennes Tiffins

Place of birth: England

Age: 23

Current residence: Perth's Mental Clinic

Condition: Mentally Unstable (Violent behavior, hallucinations, signs of PTSD and use of substances)

I gasp at the information laid in front of me. It sads me that a person so young and so innocent at age, is going through all this alone, locked in a clinic with probably no one else around them. My heart aches for him and I can't wait to walk through these doors and meet him. Give him a chance to tell me his story and see the real him.

I should be getting ready to head there, since my supervisor already arranged an appointment for me at the Clinic. I dress as casually as I can for my age, not wanting to overshadow anybody. I want him to feel safe next to me and not pressured. I'm surprised there isn't any picture of him attached in the folder, like every other case I took up, but I quickly dismiss it and I'm already on my way.

Arriving outside, I find myself hesitating to go in. It's my first time in this clinic, and I have no idea what I'm going to face.

Be professional Jo, you got this

I take a deep breath and master the most confident steps I can before approaching the reception.

"Good afternoon, I'm here to see Mr Tiffin" I say with a smile to the nurse who has now grown a second head at my words.

"Tiffin as if... Hero Fiennes Tiffin?" she asks raising a brow.

"Yes"

"I'm afraid he isn't allowed any visitors" she says trying to dismiss me. I reach to my bag and take out the signed document from our office and hand it to her keeping my smile.