Kunti nodded, slipping her hand around Draupadi's arm, looking visibly distressed. 'It's just the fatigue from the journey."

Somehow Arjuna was not convinced by her words. He detected something beneath his mother's impassive mask, but couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of her anxiety.

When Abhimanyu and the Upandavas came down the conversation steered towards other topics that were not so unpleasant. Arjuna caught Krishna's eyes when the two men noticed Abhimanyu's stiff stance and eyes that were colder than the Himalayan winters. Arjuna's jaw clenched tightly at the pitiable sight of his son and he peered at Krishna with palpable desperation. His friend's face softened, and he grabbed his hand from under the table in an act of assurance.

A servant informed them that Lakshman Kumar had requested their permission to enter their chambers. Yudhisthira nodded at her and a few moments later, Duryodhana's son strode into their room with an air of poise and efficiency. He bowed deeply and noticing Krishna, he inquired about the state of affairs in Dwarka.

"It is all good, Lakshman. Don't you worry, your sister is fine there, in the care of all my queens and my elder brother. Her fears have been allayed." Krishna smiled mischievously at him, "And so have yours too, I presume."

"Nothing escapes the King of Dwarka, it seems," Lakshman responded.

Krishna laughed. "That applies to both of us, doesn't it?"

Arjuna was surprised at the affinity with which Krishna was speaking to Lakshman Kumar. Maybe he shouldn't have been so quick to assume things, but the manner in which Lakshmana had been married off to Samba, and Duryodhana's reaction to it, he had simply extrapolated that same rage to Duryodhana's son as well.

The way Krishna was interacting with Lakshman was akin to the way he engaged with his and his brothers' children, almost as if Lakshman was no different from Abhimanyu or Shrutakarma. Arjuna glanced at Lakshman who was all serious and somber now, as he shifted his attention from Krishna to the Pandavas.

"I hope all of you have rested well and the arrangements are appropriate. If there were any shortcomings, then please forgive me. I will have it rectified immediately."

"We have no complaints," Yudhisthira spoke.

While Lakshman Kumar's manner of speaking was respectful and polished, it was also very reserved and certainly not how one would expect to be addressed by a family member. Arjuna noticed the Upandavas staring warily at Lakshman and wondered what was going on in their heads. From what Subhadra had told him, there was mutual hostility between them for obvious reasons. He knew that the Upandavas used to mock Lakshman for he did not possess the physique of a warrior nor was he confident of his abilities, a strange contrast to his brawny, brash father. Understandably, things had changed. Now Laksman strutted around with perceptive indifference and a clear-cut precision of mind. Every word, every action seemed measured.

"I came here to inform you all that it is Grandfather's wish that today's puja be performed by Maharaj Yudhisthira and Maharani Draupadi." Lakshman gestured and two servants came in carrying large, identical trays. "Grandfather has sent the clothes, jewelry, and other accessories. It would please him if you would grace the puja wearing these."