𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 || 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰

✯♛✯

𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 dinner the night before, Francine has been scared to death to confront her mother. She was nervous that the woman would've picked up on the strange interactions between Nathan, Rafe, and herself. Christopher told her that she shouldn't be worried about anything, but she couldn't help it. The girl hoped that her mother was actually oblivious to the odd behaviour, but you could never be too sure. Maybe she was overthinking the situation, because she thought that Sarah picked up on everything but the blonde stayed the night and, much to Francine's surprise, she didn't ask any questions.

Sarah left that morning early because her stepmother needed her to do something. So that left Francine alone in her house. Her mother was gone and didn't tell the teen where she was going, but the girl assumed she was going over with Ward to work on whatever project they had. Christopher was working, like always, usually in the summer he doesn't work as much, but what he thinks is a short day of work is what Francine thought was almost unbearable. She couldn't understand how he could stand working forty eight hour shifts at least once every week.

Francine and Sarah were supposed to go to the summer movie series that night. It was basically where they'd play a movie on a projector, kind of like a drive-in theatre, but people just brought blankets and lawn chairs to sit on instead of being in their vehicles. It's held on figure Eight but closer to the Cut so pogues show up sometimes. Francine's plan to go to the movie was ruined though because Sarah texted her not too long ago, saying how she wouldn't be able to make it. The taller girl asked why, but her friend only told her that she's shopping for a Midsummers dress on the Mainland. Francine didn't ask anymore questions, knowing how picky Rose could be with that kind of stuff. She assumed that what Sarah said was true, even though it wasn't. The blonde was going to the mainland with none other than John Booker Routlege.

Right after reading the text about the Midsummers event, the dark haired girl almost threw her phone at a wall. She forgot that they were still having Midsummers this year. She was hoping that they'd cancel it because, you know, there was a hurricane not too long ago, but no, kooks had to have their fancy parties. Francine thought it was stupid, they're going to an elegant and expensive party held at the country club when half the island didn't even have electricity, and most of those people could barely feed their families. She didn't like Midsummers one bit, but her mother insists on her going every year. She was pretty sure Katerina had her dress ordered in March and has been hanging in her closet since. She refused to look at it because it made her remember that the event was coming up soon and she was forced to go. 

Francine was currently sitting on the couch, eating some Kraft Dinner since she had no clue how to cook and that was the only thing in their house that she could somewhat make. There was an old black and white movie playing on the T.V, she wasn't really paying attention to it though, more focused on her food.

Francine jumped a little bit when her phone began to ring out of nowhere, no one really called her anymore. Most people would just come over to her house, so it was weird for someone to be calling her. She put her bowl to the side and picked her phone up with a frown, wondering who it could be. Her frown only deepened when she saw how the caller ID said 'unknown number'.

She pressed accept and put the device to her ear with furrowed brows,"Hello?"

"Baby?" A voice questioned, they sounded so familiar to the girl but she couldn't quite figure out who it was. The panic in their voice though was something that made her straighten up in her seat. The once only confused expression she had turned into a mixture between that and concern. It either had to be a pogue or someone she hasn't spoken to since she moved to Figure Eight, they were the only people who would call her 'Baby'. Everyone else knew that she didn't want to go by that name anymore. Francine also couldn't really understand how one of the pogues got her number, let alone call her. She heard that the power on the Cut might be out all summer.