† Nightmare

3.

"Time for bed, children." Dr. Thredson announced walking back into the common room a while later. He turned off that wretched music, and everyone got up and headed back to their cells. Finally. Kit walked up to me, and we exchanged quick hugs.

"Night Kit," I said softly.

"Goodnight, Prescott."

I found out that when Kit was admitted to Briarcliff, his cell was just opposite mine. That meant we could stay up late and talk to each other when everyone was fast asleep. I slowly walked back to my cell. I entered my damp and cold cell and sat down on the mattress of my bed. I shivered and pulled the sheets over my body.

After about an hour, I jolted from my sleep with heavy breaths. The whole room was pitch black. I wiped away the sweat that formed along my forehead. They came back. The nightmares and memories of my mother that day. I could see the terrible images clear in my mind now. When Bloody Face skinned my mother alive, peeling the skin off of several incisions while she screamed in agony. The sight of blood and skin strewed about the floor in my mind. I clawed and pounded at the sides of my head. Get out!

I whimpered and forced my eyes shut, but many memories came back to me. The decapitation of my mother's head from her shaking body. Bloody Face taking her skin with him as a token to add to his disgusting mask of his just before the police arrived. Get out of my head! I cried and glanced upwards when I heard a voice.

"Can't sleep?" A quiet, low voice asked me. I slipped out of my bed and peeked through the bars on the wall that separated Kit's cell from mine.

"No, never. You?" I replied with a light laugh and ran a hand through my messy hair.

"Not at all." He chuckled back softly. "What were you dreaming about?"

"My mom."

"I'm really sorry about your loss, you didn't deserve that." His eyes saddened a tad.

"No need to apologize, Kit. It's not your fault." I shook my head and gave him a reassuring smile.

\\

The next day, I spent mostly with Kit in the common room. It was amazing how he could make me laugh with just a simple, cheesy joke or make me blush with one comment on my outfit (all though it was truly plain and boring). I wasn't sent to work yet, which meant I had more free time on my hands. Lana and Grace were sent down to the bakery to make cookies, leaving Kit and me alone for the day.

What was this unusual feeling I had in my stomach every time I was with him? I knew I could never bring myself to actually love Kit just yet. My heart was still trying to stitch itself back up after my mother passed on, there was no room for anything else, but pain, and sorrow. But I still couldn't help to think that I might have a small crush on him. Love is confusing. It might just be best if I stayed away from it.

Life at Briarcliff was petty simple. Eat, sleep, hang out in the common room, do your chores, and be sure to follow the rules. Just then, it hit me. Throughout my entire stay here, I had completely forgotten how it felt to be outside: being able to see the sun, feeling the rain against my cheeks, and letting snowflakes fall on my tongue. Everything.

I simply loathed this place. It reeked of moldy breath and rotted meat. I would do anything to leave this insane asylum. If Lana's plan didn't work, I honestly don't know what will. If only there was someone who could shut it down--

"Hey, Hope." I was snapped back into reality when I heard Lana's voice. She approached me, lighting her third cigarette of the day.

"Hey," I replied and scooted to the side so she could sit next to me. "You finished your work early?"

"Yep. I came to you because I think I have it all thought out. Sister Jude told me that the next movie night would be tomorrow evening since there was a big storm coming. We could make it if we really tried. I actually think we could." She inhaled that addicting smoke and exhaled.

"And if it doesn't?"

"Well, I haven't quite thought that part out yet."

___

I FOUND A YT VIDEO WITH ASYLUM AND TAKE ME TO CHURCH, PLEASE WATCH IT!!