Chapter Thirteen

After quickly eating a lunch of egg sandwiches away from the books, Viera and I go back to our original table. She automatically goes back to her book and I grab the other book that I hadn't read yet. Both of us dive back into our fictional worlds and I'm no longer stuck in this maze.

"Heather!"

I jump and let out a yelp, startled. In the process, my hands slip and my book falls shut. Landing back in my chair, I press a hand against my chest, trying in vain to calm my racing heartbeat. Once the adrenaline rush fades, I'm left feeling exhausted by the whole ordeal.

"Sorry, are you ok?"

The voice comes from right beside me and I quickly turn my head towards it, opening my mouth to speak. But then I come face to face with Charlie.

Whatever I was going to say flies out of my head at finding him inches away from me. Again. This is just like this morning.

Turning back to the front, I make my face as impassive as I can. "I'm fine," I say quickly. "What are you doing here? How'd you even find me?"

He chuckles and pulls another chair up beside me. Through all the events that had just occurred, all Viera did was lift her head to watch for a few minutes before going back to her book.

"I just thought, 'Where would Heather go?' and then I just walked along the path until a building just shouted Heather at me," he replies. Then he winks and adds, "This is the building by the way."

I roll my eyes. "Stop talking. You can't know me that well."

"I know that!" Charlie exclaims indignantly. "But I know enough. I think."

I laugh at his ending confusion and shake my end at him. "You're ridiculous. Remind me why we're friends again?"

"I'm going to choose not to answer that." Charlie crosses his arms and turns away from me. I stifle a giggle at his childish behaviour.

"Anyways," Charlie announces. "Do you even know what time it is now?"

Viera and I look at each other, then turn back to Charlie and shake our heads, shrugging. Charlie sighs and smacks a hand against his forehead. "It's dinner time, Heather," he drawls.

Oh.

Grabbing a piece of paper from beside me, I stick it into my book as a bookmark to hold my place. Then I push back my chair and hold out a hand to Viera. "Come on," I say. "Let's go get something to eat."

Together, we head towards the door. Charlie hurries to follow behind us since the isles can only fit two of us.

"Hey!" Charlie calls. "Wait for me!"

Do we slow down and wait for him though? Nope! Instead, Viera and I run out the door and race to the dining hall. Of course, once we arrive, Charlie catches up and crashes into me. Grabbing his arms so I don't fall, I stumble to find my footing again.

Planting my feet on the ground, I take a moment to stare at the floor as I loosen my already tight muscles. Then I look up and glare at Charlie. I know I look ridiculous to him since I'm still holding onto his arms. He looks pained as he tries to hide a smile. To make up for my lack of formidability, I dig my nails into his forearms until he lets out a yelp.

"Hey!" he exclaims. "Ow, Heather. That hurts."

I just smile back at him. I know it hurts. I made it hurt on purpose. Why else would you be feeling this pain? It's your fault anyway. You started it.

Of course, I don't say any of that out loud. Instead, I let go of Charlie and step back. Pivoting on my heel so that my hair wacks Charlie in the face, I quickly head into the building and step in line for tonight's meal.