Chapter Seven

After that grand introduction, we all take a seat as Baz goes on to explain their whole cause and their plan to get out of this maze. We learn that during the day, they send people up the stairs and they explore the maze from above. At least it's safer than running through the maze. This way, from above, the Machines can't get to them.

"Want some coffee?" Baz offers.

For a second, I just stare at him in shock. "You have coffee?" I wheeze, then clear my throat. "I mean what? Sorry. Yes, please."

Shortly after, coffee in mugs is passed out to the four of us. Tentatively, I take a sip and nearly blast up in my seat. It tastes so good. I close my eyes to savour the taste. I can hear the others having similar euphorias. Who would have thought? We're connecting over a cup of coffee. I sigh. Wait. Is this even real coffee?! How is it so good?!!

I nearly drop my cup when a voice responds with, It's a special blend we created here.

Some of my coffee spills over the rim, splashing my fingers, and I gasp. Quickly, I glance around the room to see where the voice could be coming from. Then Charlie pokes my arm and I remember that I am in a room with other people. I cough and wonder if it's possible for me to sink into my chair. So that's what I try to do. Only, it doesn't work. Now I'm just embarrassed and slightly disappointed.

Looking back at Baz, he already has his eyes on me and when they meet mine, he tilts his head to the side. I wonder what he's thinking about.

Before I can think more about it though, Baz claps his hands and announces, "Okay. Why don't we let you find your rooms now?" And with that, he ushers us back out of the room and up the tower of stairs.

Surfacing out from underground, it's already dark outside. The twins immediately follow a green-eyed boy to wherever they will be staying, leaving me and Charlie with Baz.

Around us are houses, just like in the regular world outside of the maze. There are even taller towers that you can see above the other buildings. Baz takes us to one of the towers and walks inside. I'm about to follow when Charlie grabs my arm.

He looks around quickly. "I have a bad feeling about this," he says.

I stare at him questioningly. "What do you mean?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I have no idea, but somethings not right."

Then he went inside to where Baz was waiting for us.

I stay there, staring at the door. I'm so confused. Now it's my turn to look around cautiously. Not seeing anything obviously suspicious, I sigh. Shrugging, I pull open the door and walk inside.

Immediately, my vision becomes swirly and wavy. I don't know if I'm floating or standing or even if I am moving. Is it me or the world? I have no idea.

I think I hear people yelling around me. I hit something hard and it hurts, but then I don't feel anything. I can't hear anything but muffled voices around the ringing of my ears. I feel like my ears are going to start bleeding at any moment now. I can't do anything.

A voice comes into my head.

HEATHER! CAN YOU HEAR ME?

I think I try to nod, but I can't be sure. Yes, I think weakly. I have no idea if he can hear me or not.

Just try to stay awake, okay? I know you're probably feeling tired right now. But please, Heather, stay awake. Stay. Don't go. Stay here. With me.

The dark seems so welcoming though. But the voice insisted. I can't ignore it. So I stay instead.

Eventually, the voice calms down. It tells me, It's okay now. Everything's okay, Heather. You can rest now. Don't worry. I'll stay here with you. You won't be alone.

That's the last thing I remember hearing before exhaustion takes over and I finally relax.