Chapter 23

My laugh escaped my lips as the fry that I threw hit its target. It came out a little louder than I meant it to be but the busy restaurant was noisy enough that the sound of my laughter actually got muffled and drowned in the sea of voices.

Alex gave me a mock dirty look for a second before chuckling with me, picking up the fry that had fallen onto his lap after hitting his forehead. He popped the fry into his mouth and munched on it.

It was lunch time and we were in McDonald's so it wasn't surprising to see it packed with people. We were lucky we were able to find a seat, otherwise we would have had to sit in Alex's car again like the last few times we were here.

At first, sitting across from Alex and actually having lunch with him was weird and slightly awkward. It was off-putting. But after got that initial awkwardness out of the way, I found it to be the best part of my day. At first, we went out of school to grab lunch to escape the prying eyes, but now, I went because I actually have fun while I'm at it. I actually look forward to it every morning.

Now, it's become a habit to just meet him by the school's front steps so that we can drive to McDonald's together.

Yes, we are both well aware of the cancerous cells we might be fostering by the rate that we were consuming fast food at. Don't set us as examples, kids, listen to your parents.

I let my grin stay on my lips as I looked down on my burger, picking it up to bite into it. I looked up at Alex and saw him smiling like a fool at me, triggering my own smile to surface as well.

Do you know how hard it is to chew your food while smiling? It must've been quite the sight to see.. or not.

"Oh my God, I want someone to look at me like that." I heard someone say.

"God, they look so in love. I feel so single looking at them." Another voice gushed as I looked around to see who they were talking about.

Two girls sitting a few feet away looked at me with wide eyes, as if they were caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing. They quickly looked away and I turned back to Alex, who quirked an eyebrow at me questioningly.

"What? Do you know them?" He asked.

I shook my head. He must've missed what they said. Which wouldn't be surprising since I was sitting closer to them and their voices were soft compared to everyone else's in the restaurant.

Even so, I still couldn't get rid of the butterflies I felt in my stomach when I heard what they said. Really? Did we really look as if we were in love? Was Alex really looking at me in a certain way?

I looked at Alex, probably for a few seconds too long. He raised his eyebrows and started patting his face with a napkin. "What? Is there something on my face?"

I shook his head as he picked up his phone to look at his reflection. "No, I was just thinking about something." I told him honestly.

"What were you thinking?" He asked me, putting his phone down and grabbing another fry from the tray we had poured the fries onto.

I bit my lip and shrugged. "Nothing important."

"Like hell am I going to tell him what I was thinking. Over my dead body." I spoke to myself mentally as I watched him tilt his head to the side and shrugging it off.