Trenwith Ghosts

"Is Trenwith haunted?"

Old Prudie's neck, stiff as it was, jerked her graying head up to scrutinize Bella. "Haunted? Pfft. Why'd ye ask such a knock-headed thing?"

"Oh, I know 'tis nonsense and all," the girl amended hastily, sprinkling more flour on the dough Prudie was kneading, "I only mean that some of the children from Sawle say such things. And I was only wondering what would lead them to assume-" 

"Empty houses be ready fodder for young, sensational minds," Prudie said with finality, her wrinkled hands punching the dough more vigorously. 

"But," Bella pursued the subject eagerly, "I've also heard some of the women mention some great tragedy or some sort to do with Trenwith..." She turned her blue eyes expectantly upon her elder companion.

Prudie's hands stilled, and her eyes took on a far-away look. "Tis a place what's seen much sadness and caused great sorrow."

Several moments of silence passed before the breathlessly impatient Bella hinted, "Such as..?"

Prudie shook herself, snapping out of her thoughtful reverie and wordlessly beginning to knead once more. 

When it became apparent that Prudie held no intention to say any more on the matter, Bella let out an irritated sigh. 

"Why will no one just tell me if Trenwith House be truly haunted or not?" 

"Ye know 'tis madness for anywhat to be haunted."

"I was also of such a mind," Bella agreed, then continued with much relish, "Until only this morning I was walking past the derelict estate and heard noises!" 

A laugh from the doorway drew both Prudie's and Bella's eyes. 

"Why of course there were noises, sister," Clowance pushed some windswept dark locks from her face as she entered the kitchen, "I'd wager the place be inhabited with any number of foxes, badgers, dormice, and rabbits."

Bella's face flushed, "No, I heard voices."

Clowance's dark eyebrows raised in mock-seriousness. "Perhaps I should send for Dr. Enys? He is, after all, an expert on afflictions of the mind." 

Bella looked torn between yelling or crying, but Prudie intervened before either could be done.

"Clowance, 'tisn't fit nor proper for a young lady such as yerself to harass yer sister so." 

"Oh, Bella," Clowance said, attempting to sound contrite and not amused, "I did not mean to upset you-"

"I reckon you did," Bella muttered.

 "-Nonetheless, I do assure you there are no ghosts at Trenwith," Clowance flashed a charming smile, "To further assure you of the fact, I will personally investigate." She turned in a swirl of skirts and undone hair to bound out the door.

"Oh, maid!" Cried Prudie, "How many times must I be telling you not to go out looking thus?" She ran to the doorway and shouted after Clowance, "And how oft must I tell ye not to venture there?" 

"She'll not heed, Prudie," Bella scowled, "You know as well as I that she does just as she pleases."

"Just like yer father," Prudie sighed, then added, "And, now I think of it, like yer mother, also." 

                                                                                        * * *

"Memories like voices that call in the wind,
Medhel an gwyns,
Medhel an gwyns.
Whispered and tossed on the tide coming in,
Medhel, oh, medhel an-- "