Chapter One: Friendly Encounter

A sigh passed over his lips as he grabbed his bags from the bag carousel, bidding the worker behind the counter a good day. Once he exited the store, he started heading to his car.

China could not wait to be back in the solitude of his hotel. The crowded and disrespectful building he had just spent two hours in had been so distasteful and horrifying for him to withstand. Sure, his own land definitely had similar crowds, but he had never built up such a horrendous headache from such a simple shopping trip.

He wondered if he should take his frustration and head pain out on the two sole reasons of the trip; his somewhat allies, France and England. For some reason, unknown to him as of yet, the two had called him out and given barely a warning of them visiting him. Even though he had questioned it, he wasn't given a reason as to the sudden visit nor a proper time. His annoyance only grew once he realized that it was the constantly fueding nations that had made the arrangement, which would more than likely bring this visit into a insult debate.

Hence the shopping trip. It was a blind hope of his that food would keep the two occupied enough to stay on course of what it was they needed and get out before they ripped each other's throats out.

The blare of a car horn suddenly snapped China out of his thoughts, making him stumble to the side and drop some of his bags as a car whizzed by him, the driver shouting an obscenity out the window.

With a scowl, China bent down to pick up his offended items.

"Damn Americans, they have no respect..." he muttered in his own language.

"Well, I suppose that's true."

The sudden voice caused China to whip his head up.

"Who-" He barely said in accented English before he saw who had spoken.

In front of him was a complete stranger. A young woman with (long/short) (hair color) hair had bent down in front of him, picking up a few of his items.

She looked at him with an amused glint in her eyes.

"But I don't think anyone would respect someone who doesn't pay attention where they're walking in a parking lot either," she laughed kindly.

China felt his face heat up. Whether from her comment or something else, he wasn't sure.

"Maybe so," he responded, trying to ignore his embarrassment as he realized he really hadn't been watching himself. "But there's a lot more disrespect I've been given in the past hour that really is unforgivable."

The woman shook her head, the amused smile still on her lips.

"I don't doubt that, not one bit. You picked a pretty nasty location to get your groceries at." She continued to pick up some more of the items, fitting them into his bags as he did the same.

"It was the closest place I could find in such a short time. Next time I'll just have to drive farther."

He went to pick up a pre-made party tray only for the contents to dump out onto the pavement through the broken plastic case.

His eyes widened in slight anger.

You have got to be kidding me! I don't have enough time to make many snacks, I was gonna give this to those two idiots!

Biting the inside of his cheek, he kept his frustration in, not wanting to take it out on the woman kind enough to help him.

The woman, however, seemed to notice immediately and spoke up in a calming voice.

"If you want, you should be able to go in and exchange that for a different one."

China sighed in defeat. He didn't know what was worse. France and England trying to kill each other in his hotel room, or the hell of American retail. "There is no way I am going back in there."

"Well...there's a grocery store about thirty minutes away from this one. It's probably about just as crowded, but the community is a lot cleaner and friendly."

"Ah, really?" He looked up at her at that, his frustration calming slightly. "What's it called?" China asked. If there was a store that was better than the hellhole he just went through, he would jump at the chance. Even if it meant driving a little bit further to get what he needed.

"Let me write it down for you." She went into her purse to grab a pen and paper.

As she did so, China looked at her again, this time taking a moment to actually take note of her appearance.

She was wearing a light (color) summer blouse matched with a pair of near white denim shorts with frays at the leg openings. Open-toed sandals covered her feet. He noticed that her hair was actually quite (curly, wavy, etc.) and framed her (face-shape) almost perfectly. Her creamy (skin tone) skin seemed to bring out the shimmer in her (eye color) eyes.

A strange feeling crept up into his chest from his stomach as he continued to take notice of her appearance. Something about her calmed him and felt like a welcome home, yet she was a complete stranger to him.

He hadn't realized he had been completely enamoured by her until she cleared her throat, her hand held out to him.

The flame of embarrassment once again returned to his face as he looked away, seeing the paper in her hand.

"S-Sorry," he quickly said in his own language without realizing as he took the piece of paper.

The woman looked at him with concern.

"Are you alright? Did that driver startle you a bit too much?" She asked, the amusement completely gone from her demeanour, replaced with worry.

"I'm fine, thank you though," he answered, once again returning to the English language.

China wasn't sure what he was thinking. The strange feeling in his chest had vanished, replaced by mild bewilderment. Perhaps the driver had gotten to him a little. Normally such a thing wouldn't, but with how his day was going, something so little probably would cause him such frustration and confusion.

He sighed, internally shaking his thoughts away. He didn't have time for this.

"Thank you for your help, as well as the store name. I appreciate it." He quickly gathered his bags, including the ruined snack tray to throw out later.

The woman picked up some of the bags as well.

"At least let me help bring these to your car. I don't want you getting nearly hit again." There was a hint of amusement in her tone, but China could tell she was serious.

A slight smile grew on his lips as well.

"That would be unfortunate," he let a chuckle escape as he led the way to his car.

The woman laughed lightly.

"I'm (Full Name), by the way."

The name, although new, seemed to flow well and familiar in his mind.

"(Name)... That's really pretty."

"Heh, thank you." She blushed a bit.

"My name's Yao. Yao Wang."