"Normal? You mean sad and lonely because that was my life before you came along." His words forced my eyes up to his face, to meet his eyes.

"What is this Harieth? What are you trying to do? I never knew you to be a martyr of some sort. You've always been bold and brave, refusing to care about the consequences of your actions... Is our love so little that you think so much about the consequences that might follow? I don't blame you for anything. If that faithful day were to repeat, I will always choose your life over mine because that's how much you mean to me."

I bursted out into tears. Does he have to have such good ways with words?

"You're an idiot." I told him amidst tears, unable to control them. I felt his arms around me once more and this time, I wrapped my arms around his waist to accept the hug as I wept a whole lot more. The memories of the past with him lying so helplessly on the bed flashed through my mind and I couldn't stop crying. To think I almost took my own life.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything, the accident, giving up on everything. I'm sorry." I had to apologize, and yet, it felt like it wasn't enough. Nothing I could say would be enough.

* * *

While my head rested on his shoulder, I unknowingly let out a sigh of relief as I stared into space. In the end, I'm back home, in his arms where I belong.The thought of everything eventually being okay set me a little at peace and yet, I couldn't stop my mind from wandering off.

"What's on your mind?" His voice interrupted my thoughts and I couldn't stop myself from looking up to his face. At the sight of it, a smile curled up my face and I'm reminded just how happy and satisfying he makes me feel.

I stared silently into space for a while, wondering where to start from or how to explain what my thoughts are.

"When I was ten years old, I was kidnapped alongside my mum and they demanded a certain ransom from my father. I remember feeling so scared and wishing I could go home... One night, somehow, mum was able to figure out a way for our escape. Turns out, we were in an unfamiliar forest... It rained so heavily that running fast enough seemed impossible. The men were fast on our trails and then we stopped... she... She hugged and kissed me on the forehead then she asked me to run as fast as I could without looking back, she was going to stall them for as long as she could." I gulped down hard as recollecting the memory was hard for me but he needed to hear this, he needed to understand my past.

"I couldn't keep at it. I couldn't leave her behind so I turned and began making my way back to her. I saw her. She stood boldly in front of the men and seemed ready to stop either of them from getting past her... One amongst them spotted me, he pulled the gun at me and ordered I return back to them right away but I just... stood. Mum looked my side one last time and yelled run as she fought for the hold on the gun. I turned away in fear and began running then I heard it... gun shot. I turned and... her body laid lifeless on the ground... she was gone. She was dead... That's when it started. I froze, neither able to move or hear anything."

I looked back up to his face and met his eyes.

"The trauma of that night acts up anytime it rains. I'm sorry that accident ever happened. You shouldn't have been caught in all this..." His lips locked with mine as he drew me closer into his arms.

"You're my wife and I love you. Your problem is mine as well so stop apologizing." He added as his lips slightly left mine. I couldn't help the smile that surfaced afterwards.

"Thank you. Thank you for loving me regardless of everything about me."

He smiled.

"No, thank you for coming into my life."

We both smiled at each other before he drew closer for yet another intense kiss.

Christian

"Christian. Christian." Lucas called just as I turned away in a hurry to leave the boardroom right after the meeting was over. Although, in a hurry, I had to turn back to him. Once in front of him, I watched as he took notice of the fact that room was yet to be empty.

"I can't talk for long. I'm in a hurry." I had to let him know. I watched as light sigh eluded his lips, somehow giving away the fact that what he wants to say is a bit difficult for him.

"I still don't think coming back to work this early is good for you."

"You don't need to worry about me. I'm fine and besides, I have Harieth. She has been a big help." I told him the truth.

I watched as another sigh left his lips. It made me wonder what was eating at him. It was quite unlike Lucas to beat around the bush.

"Lucas..."

"I don't think Harieth is good for you. I mean... she lied and then she disappeared the way she did. There's a huge possibility she's just like her father. You need to think this through." His words came out rather quick.

For a moment, I was silent, staring and it seemed I'd given in.

"It seems you preferred me better as sad and lonely or better yet... do I keep up with the feelings I had towards your wife."

"Christian..."

"I love Harieth. I would appreciate it better if you accept that and behave less like my mother." With that I turned away and found my way out of the room without sparing a look back.

I felt a weight lift off my chest. It felt nice and satisfying saying those words out. How long I'd bottled them in and pretended everything was okay. Finally, I'm okay.

I stepped out of the elevator, a few steps forward, I stopped and looked around for any sight of my wife.

"Christian."

I looked the direction of her voice and caught her smiling broadly as she waved for my attention. I smiled back, letting her know I'd seen her. The smile never left my face as I walked up to her.

"Sorry I'm late." I apologized as I threw my arm around her neck then began walking towards the exit together.

She shook her head.

"It's okay. In the end, you're here."

Her words forced my eyes to her side and caught her staring back at me, the look in her eyes, that of admiration and in that moment, I knew I'd be safe with her.

Finally, I've found my better half.