2. CHOCOLATES are exquisite

Christian

The door to the elevator opened and then I stepped out just like a few other employees that waited patiently as well. As I headed straight for the CEO's office, a few employees greeted and I nodded in approval trying my best to put up a smile although these days, I was finding that act quite hard to perform. Nevertheless, life must go on and so that was what I did. I moved on. The company hadn't changed much since I left although it hasn't actually been that long since I left, just a few months but those months felt like years. Years of thinking, heartaches and trying so hard to forget the past.

"Good morning Mr. Hendrix." Lucas's new assistant greeted as soon as she caught sight of me. I put up a weak but brief smile as I finally stood in front of her.

"Morning Grace. Is Lucas in?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes sir. Do I let him know of your presence?" she asked looking up to me expectantly for a reply but then I thought for a second. Lucas had no idea that I was back in the country. It would be better to see the look on his face as soon as I walk into his office.

"No. It's a surprise." I told her and she nodded. Afterwards, I walked straight to the office and after a second of taking in a deep breath, I took hold of the door knob, turned and pushed the door to slightly open. I first pooped in my head to get a look of what Lucas was doing. He stood in front of the window, his back facing the door while he held a phone stuck to his ear.

I finally walked in, carefully shutting the door behind me as I realised Lucas hadn't noticed my presence. As I approached him, his voice grew a bit louder enough to my hearing.

"What do you mean by they rejected our offer!?" He asked, annoyance evident in his voice and as he waited for the person on the other line to speak up, he ran a hand worriedly through his hair.

"Fine! We still need to meet up with Rockwell Gryffin? He's probably our last resort. Gather enough details and make sure we don't lose him as well." Lucas ordered before he cut the call and finally turned.

His eyes widened in surprise for a second as he stood frozen staring at me. I managed to put up a smile.

"Christian? How did you... When did you get back?" Lucas asked quite surprised as he took steps towards me and engulfed me in a light hug. Hugging part was still a little bit awkward for the both of us but there's nothing that couldn't be fixed. Someday, we are going to behave like true brothers.

"Yesterday. I got back yesterday." I told him as I took my seat in front of the desk and he took his behind the desk.

He sighed just staring at me and I could see he wasn't himself. Lucas's was scattered with all sorts of files and he only attempted to pack them all up when I took a look at them.

"What's all this? Is something wrong?" I asked as he busied himself with sorting everything out.

"Nothing. I'm just a little busier, that's all." He stated before looking up to me. He ended his statement with a brief smile. It was obvious he was trying too hard to look all tidied up.

"I don't believe you. Tell me, what's going on? Emerson is alright, right?" I asked feeling a little nervous and scared at the thought of something happening to her although I tried my best not to let it show.

"Emerson? No, Ema's fine. The baby is fine. Everyone is fine." Lucas stated all at once then remained quiet staring at me. I narrowed my eyes at him. He was definitely hiding something. Lucas might not know it but he was a terrible at pretending.

"Hmm... I see well I'll just have to find out what's going on with the company through the employees." I told him as I got up from my seat.

"Okay." Lucas finally gave in and I took my seat once more. That wasn't so bad after all.