But we were silent.

The occasional hunk of a horn or slam of a door was our only interruption. He shoved his hands into his pockets, and I mimicked the gesture.

After a moment, he asked, "Do you really love her?"

"Yes."

"No. I know you love her, but do you love her, love her?"

I looked at him, somewhat puzzled. "Yes?"

"'Yes?'" he mimicked in a voice that sounded more like a slow, incompetent human being than my actual self. He continued, "That's a question, Val, not an answer. Are you sure she's the one? I don't want a few months down the road, you all change your mind, and this was all nothing more than a passing fancy. This is bigger than you two now. You've got your families involved. Soon we might have to plan your weddings and whatever ever else comes up."

"Marriage...." I scratched my chin absentmindedly. Naomi and I hadn't even talked about that. Not once. I would like to marry her, yes, but it felt a bit too early for that.

He continued, "We want you guys to be happy, but you have to show us that we can trust you to handle a mature, serious relationship or we'll have to call the whole thing off." He stopped and faced me.

I turned to him and said, "I'm not one to make false promises. But I've loved your daughter forever, sir. I can't remember a time I didn't love her. This feeling I have; this love I have for her... it's not something that rises and falls with the sun. It is a living thing that has made its home in my chest and raised its banner. It makes me cry. It makes me laugh, but most of all, it makes me who I am. I wouldn't be the Val I am today without her."

He chuckled softly and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I hate that you're taller than me, young lady."

I bent my knees, and he adjusted his tie before saying, "That's better." He turned around, and we strode towards the house. He said, "Love is a very powerful emotion, Val, and if you're not careful, it can ruin you. It can ruin both of you. So, if you're having trouble with anything, come talk to me. Good communication is key to having a proper relationship."

I nodded. The walk back felt shorter. I put my hand on the doorknob, twisted it, opened the door, and two human-like objects tumbled out of the house.

***

Naomi and her mother pressed their ears against the door. But try as they might, they couldn't hear what the two were talking about. Naomi was faintly aware of the friends waiting for her and Val in the backyard, but her father took his own sweet time to harass her date. It wasn't like the two of them had just met. He had known Val for years. He was making a show of everything for his own enjoyment, while Naomi waited with bated breath. The door gave way, and as Naomi had placed most of her weight on it; she fell. She saw flashes of the night sky, houses, trees, and the two people standing on the other side. Two pairs of black shoes. Her elbow broke her fall, slamming into the concrete porch, and a piercing pain ran the length of her arm.

Her mother fell on top of her. Naomi grunted in pain. She felt pathetic, and she would feel even worst if the person standing in front of her was Val. 'Please don't be Val.' She prayed.

Her father said, "This one is mine." She felt the added pressure of her mother leave her back, then the stranger crouched in front of her and helped her to her feet. Naomi's bare feet rested on the cold cement. Val was standing in front of her with a cocky smile on her face. Val said, "Well, I'm guessing this one is mine." She tucked stray strands of hair behind Naomi's ear.

Naomi's face warmed, but she worked through her embarrassment and said, "I must have leaned against the door by accident-"

Ursula said, "They were eavesdropping, now give me a hug, you are quite dashing tonight." Naomi looked over her shoulder and saw Ursula hold out her arms to Val.