1st ARC | 19 | The 2nd Eldest

Start from the beginning

"Hey, we'll look for her, okay?"

Hali subtly turned his head, a little surprised to see Quake still with him in the empty hallway, the latter giving him a reassuring smile whilst he pat his back.

"Get to class, Hali." Quake pointed down the hall with his head, saying a silent "Try not to worry too much, you'll stress yourself." as he held on his twin's shoulder comfortingly.

Thunder's brows met in utter confusion... Just... How....?

Honestly, he was surprised his brother was still calm despite everything that just happened. Then again, he was always well-composed, calm and collected, and always knew what to do in dire situations. Thunder knew that. All of their twins knew that... Must be why he's the eldest...

He chuckles lowly, catching the earth elemental's attention abruptly as he mumbled, "I'm glad you're our eldest, you know that?"

Quake tilts his head in response, silently asking for an elaboration for his thoughts.

Thunder turned to him, "If it were me, I probably wouldn't be that good of an older brother."

Quake flinched at his sudden honesty, wondering why the lightning elemental would think of himself that way when he most certainly wasn't as bad of a brother as he thought.

"You actually think that?" he asked carefully, trying to avoid triggering him with the wrong words.

The younger nods, his face all gloomy just from thinking about it. How much of a failure of an older brother he was. "How can I not..." his voice was almost inaudible, like a whisper only meant for himself to hear. "You always have a solution for every problem... I'm the second eldest but all I do is get into trouble...."

That's not true Hali...

Quake couldn't find the explanation behind this. The younger never once lost his self-esteem, no matter the outcome of any situation thrown at him. And yet, here he was, sulking in his misery, blamimg himself for the argument that had gone out of hand the second he stepped in.

"I'm such a delinquent..."

But Quake never allowed his siblings to loose their confidence, especially for absurd and inevitable reasons. And although Thunderstorm perceived himself a failure, Quake never did, no matter how many times he got into trouble.

He grasped his shoulder, eyeing Hali with the sternest look on his face, "Hey, that may be true but you're a good brother to our twins."

Said male was flabbergasted upon his brother's declaration. He was speechless, astonished, shook, whatever word you could describe his shock because not one of them was enough for the level of his bewilderment.

And he almost doesn't want to believe him either. All his life, he headed straight for brawls, uncaring of his brothers' warnings and precautions. It was only by far somewhat of a miracle that he even got rid of the delinquency running in his blood just as they entered high school.

"What makes you say that?"

His tone of curiosity was hard to miss, especially for Quake, as he was their eldest after all, and he knew everything there was to know about his twins.

He smiled softly, giving Thunder the answer he was waiting for. "You take care of things when I'm not around, you have alternate solutions you think of for last second situations, and you know how care for our brothers even in silent ways."

"No way..." he refused to believe it. Unsure if he could even believe himself either for his own actions as he pulled his shoulder from his brother.

"You probably don't see it, but I do, Hali..." Quake insisted. "I have no other reason to believe that you're worthy to be our second eldest, other than the fact that I know you're the most capable for this."