31: Zaofu Breach (long chapter)

Start from the beginning

"How did they get in here?" Lin snapped, she was livid. "You said this was safe!" Zaheer was fighting some other metalbenders a little ways from where Ally was, and when he saw her, his eyes narrowed. He ran towards her and used his staff to blow everyone out of the way. He grabbed her and slammed his staff into her skull, knocking her out. She lay limp as blood trickled from her wound. Zaheer threw her into the moat and used a gust of air to blow her into the dome. 

"No!" Su cried out. 

"Ally!" Lin shouted, reaching out toward her daughter. She tried to lunge forward, but Su held her back. 

"No!" She exclaimed. "You'll get blown up!

"That's my daughter!" Lin yelled, trying to break out of her sister's grasp.

"No!" Su said again. "You'll be no help to Ally if you're dead." 

Lin knelt back down as tears threatened to spill past her lashes. Su's guard attempted to make a bridge to cross over the most of lava, but they were immediately knocked back by Ghazan's lavabending. Su came up with a plan to drop down from the top of the dome on cables, that way they wouldn't have to cross the moat. Bolin needed to stun P'Li by bending a rock where the explosions came out of her head, that way Lin and Su wouldn't get blown up. Meanwhile, Ally started to stir. She opened her eyes and looked around the people around her. She winced and touched the back of her head where blood was congealing in her hair. She stood up and a snarl curled her lips. She started to bend the fire around her, creating a ring of red hot flames to protect herself. She let out a yell and the fire exploded, flying in all directions. The people that were in the dome with her turned, and Ally knew she was a goner. All of the sudden, a rock flew out of nowhere and hit P'Li in the forehead, causing her head to whip back and the explosion she was going to fire shot somewhere else. Ally looked up and saw Lin and Su coming down to her on cables. She scooped Korra's limp body up and handed her to Lin. She created a wall of fire to block off the others on the island. 

"Go!" She yelled. "I'll be ok!" A bittersweet smile crossed her lips as she turned to her mom.

"Come on," Lin stuck her hand out. 

"You can't take us both," Ally said gently. "Now go." 

Lin looked down at her daughter as the cables were reeled back up. Zaheer noticed what was happening and flew up to them, trying to get Korra back. Ally went into a lunge and shot fire out of her fists, getting up to Zaheer's level. She jumped on the back of his glider, tearing it with her nails. It started to go down and Zaheer threw her off, she landed hard on the dirt and went still. Lin got Korra to safety and Zaheer realized he failed, he created a tornado of dirt and wind and disappeared. The magma around the little island they were on cooled and hardened, turning black. When Lin got back down on the ground, she broke off in a run. She skidded to a halt and knelt by Ally's side, putting her hand over her daughter's lips. Luckily, she felt the ghost of Ally's breath and scooped her up, holding the young woman close. Everyone went inside and Korra was given an antidote for a poison Zaheer used to capture her. Lin was still holding Ally in her arms, the young Avatar was bruised and cut up. 

"You told me this was safe!" Lin yelled. "You told me that my daughter and Korra would be safe here. Look at Ally, look at her! She almost died tonight, in your city." 

"I don't know what happened," Su protested. "I don't know how they got in here. This was clearly planned out." One of Su's guards came in and told them they had no leads on Zaheer, he escaped. Lin put her daughter down a couch in Su's study, when she woke up. She put her feet on the floor and put her elbows on her knees. 

"They had knowledge of the city," Aiwei stood up after giving Korra the antidote. Korra sat up and grabbed her head. 

"The guards?" she said, slightly breathless.