Chapter Fifty

The call of the sea was too strong for her to ignore. Clara felt its pull as the ship came to life to sail out of Port Cochin. Blinking awake she deftly slipped out of Benjamin's arms. Holding her breath, she waited. He did not wake. She dressed with haste and made her way topside.

Clara had to see, to witness, leaving the port. Leaving the life she lived for nearly seven months behind her. She left off her shoes and went barefoot, as her shoes would have very little traction if the deck were wet.

Her head popped up and the smell of the sea filled her nostrils. She breathed it in and it was a balm for her soul. The moon was bright and the tide was high, lapping against the bow of the ship as it glided through the water. Clara made her way to the rail just in time to see them drift away from the port, from India, from the lessons she learned and the people she'd come to care about.

Squinting, she could just make out the pinpoints of lights from the night lanterns lit onboard the Whispering Wind. She whispered her goodbyes. The ship moved on and slipped past the beautiful sight of the Chinese fishing nets. As they passed them, her eyes became wet and her vision blurred. So much emotion came rising to the surface yet she felt the tug of those emotions wanting to pull her down.

Someone reached out and took her hand and Clara looked back startled to see it was not Benjamin. "I knew you couldn't resist." The man gave her an devilish grin. "Its in your blood now. The sea, she'll be calling to you for the rest of your life. She's a mysterious mistress who is not keen to let her captives go."

Clara looked pointedly at her hand and the man's grin grew wider. "Come with me," the he told her, refusing to relinquish his grasp. 

"I will not!" Clara refused trying to tug her hand free, but the strange man's grip became like an iron vise. He pulled her along with him until they reached the helm of the ship. Clara recognized the man who stood at the wheel to be the man she met coming onboard. He stood at the helm staring at them with a look of disapprobation.

"Never you mind, Andrew. Step aside."

Andrew let go and stepped away. The man waved for Clara to take the helm. Clara shook her head no, but he maneuvered himself behind her, grabbed her hands and placed them upon the wheel, his own hands resting upon hers as together they gently guided the ship. 

"In few moments, we will reach the open sea and then onto the Indian Ocean. There is little you can do to cause harm to this ship." His words were practically whispered in her ear and Clara stood as stiff as a board in his awkward embrace. 

"Please, Sir? Let go of me. It is not proper."

The man chuckled at this. She could feel his breath brush her cheek but he released her. He took up position against the rail so that he may look at her. "Do you really care so much for propriety? The woman I learned about was an adventurer, a warrior, an explorer. Do you really expect to become a prim and proper miss again?"

Clara stared straight ahead fearful to take her eyes away that she might crash the ship into something unseen and cause them all to drown. "Yes," Clara responded weakly and from the corner of her eye she could see him shaking his head at her.

"What is seen cannot be unseen, Clara. Just like what is felt cannot be unfelt. You should not try to become what you once were, when what you are is far more fascinating."

Clara glared at the man. Who the hell did he think he was talking to her in such an intimate way! "Mr. McAllister..."

"Doesn't know what he wants because he does not know you," the man interjected.

"Of course he knows me!" Clara said indignantly. "He is my husband! And who the hell are you?"

McCullen stepped from the rail. "Forgive my manners, my Lady. I am your humble yet handsome Captain, Captain James McCullen. I know so much about you, I had forgotten we've never met." His words were accompanied by a wave of his hat and a rather dramatic bow.