Chapter Four

I lean against the frame of the bathroom door. "You know, we really need to get a better meeting place. I had to leave Airi at a home so let's try to hurry this up."

Hanako turns to me and smiles. His hakujoudai float around me, curiously. I pat each of their non-existent heads. "It's nice to see you, assistant." I nod my head and smile.  "So... we must discuss the source of this new power, but first... here," Hanako places a small shiny object on my palm and closes my hand over it. His hands were cold.

"What's this," I ask.

"I need you to consume it. I can't keep forcing myself to be a... touchable ghost."

"Meaning....?"

He sighs, "Are you aware that ghosts are transparent and you can't touch them?" I nod my head. "When I am around you, sometimes I have to force my body to act as a human body. Touchable. But, it takes a lot of energy out of me."

I recall the first time he called me his assistant and shook my hand so many months ago. He almost passed out. "Right... so what does this have to do with anything?"

"That is called a mermaid scale. I refer to it as a matchmaking charm. It will make it easier to maintain a human-like form and our fates will be tied. We would have a powerful bond. If only you consume the scale, you will be cursed to take the form of a fish and you will have to be the mermaid's servant. But if we both consume a scale, the curse will be split between us."

Half listening, I popped the object into my mouth and swallowed it. It tasted salty and sour. Hanako-kun sighs and lays one on his tongue. He too swallows the object. I started to feel a little numb.

"Also, try not to get wet. You'll turn into a fish."

"Fun," I saracastically respond.

"You're enthusiasm is contagious," Hanako exclaims. I sweatdrop at the idiotic ghost standing before me.

Nene rushes into the bathroom, panting, "Hanako! Aoi is gone and nobody remembers her- wait, (F/N), shouldn't you be in class." So much for talking about the lightning.

"I didn't feel like taking the (least favorite subject) test," I shrug. "What happened to Aoi?"

"Oh, right! Aoi didn't come to school today and her flowers were gone. Her desk was gone and sensei doesn't think he has anyone in his class named Aoi. I called Aoi's mom, but she says that she doesn't know anyone by that name. It's like she was erased from existence!"

"Than how do you remember her," I ask.

"It may be because of her strong connection with Miss. Aoi," Hanako taps his finger on his chin.

"HANAKOOOOOOO," Minamoto charges into the bathroom.

"Minamoto, this is the girl's bathroom!" Yashiro tries to push him out.

"Wait, you know him?"

"Yeah, I've been talking to him recently."

Minamoto grabs Hanako by the collar of his old school uniform and violently shakes Hanako back and forth. "What did you do to my classmates Yokoo and Satou?!"

"J-just calm down," Yashiro whimpers. She throws her hands in the air. (SOMETIMES, SAYING AAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY LLLEEEEEEEEEEEEETT'S GOOOOOO~ I'll stop)

"This is obviously your doing! Spreading those weird ghost stories! Why doesn't anyone remember them?!"

"You mean..." Yashiro starts. Kou releases the poor boy who was trying to stand without swaying side to side.